• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WW-II Era Pattern and Experimental Coins

8 posts in this topic

Collectors of WW-II era pattern and experimental coins:

I am doing some long-term research on U.S. pattern and experimental coins from the WW-II era (cents, nickels, etc.). If you collect these or know someone who does, please send me a PM.

Thanks!

Maybe....I'm working on the research outline to help me scope out the material needed and possible initial sources. I have some initial material also, such as reasons for gold and silver nationalization and impact on paper and metallic currency, results of monetary expansion on coinage, collectors' coins, commemoratives, etc., and some limited WW-II material such as the half-dime/three cent proposals and designs. But, these only scratch the surface of what I think is really hidden in various archives.

Nickel experiments? I don't think I know about those. By cent experiments, are you referring to the aluminum cents?

I just realized, are you talking about the silver and steel coins?

Alloy and alternative materials proposed for the cent and nickel. Some experiments used normal dies and some used fantasy design dies. There's some basic info in the Pollock pattern book and on USpatterns.com.