• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Going to get paid next thursday, plan on buying a gold coin..need help..

16 posts in this topic

I'm going to buy a gold coin from amergold.com next thursday. But I don't know which one to choose. I suppose I should buy the QUEEN VICTORIA OLD HEAD DESIGN SOVEREIGN , but there are also these coins available: (I want to know what would be the best value)

I'm interested in buying world gold only . Here's the list:

http://www.thegoldcoinstore.com/WorldGold/

There's also this italy coin, I think its just a bullion coin:

http://www.amergold.com/vault/pageview.php?coin=Italy_20_Lire_BU_Umberto_I

Thanks for your help!

Hi stinkycheese

i would stay well clear of the Vicky sov as that date range is common and if you wanted one they are easyenough to pick up this side of the pond and you can pick the grade/one you want..

have you thaught about Isle of man Sov's they are well cheep and Unc/Bu are avalable.

(thumbs u

Dooly, I just noticed this. On the top of the vicky sovereign link, it says Queen Victoria “Old Head” design (1893-1901)

But on the bottom of the page it says Minted:

1913-1915

How come? Which date were these minted? Did they make a mistake?

My 2 cents ........ all the coin links you referenced are overpriced and you will not know what coin you'll really be getting or what quality for that matter.

All the coins you mentioned are very common, particuliarly in the quality presented by those companies. You should be looking at AGW (actual gold weight) x $650/oz (todays gold price) + 5-10% max .

ie. GB Sovereign .2354 oz. (agw) x $650 +10% = $168 not $197.42

For those prices why buy a raw coin with you can get a NGC or PCGS graded coin for equal or less than that price.

My 2 cents ........ all the coin links you referenced are overpriced and you will not know what coin you'll really be getting or what quality for that matter.

All the coins you mentioned are very common, particuliarly in the quality presented by those companies. You should be looking at AGW (actual gold weight) x $650/oz (todays gold price) + 5-10% max .

ie. GB Sovereign .2354 oz. (agw) x $650 +10% = $168 not $197.42

For those prices why buy a raw coin with you can get a NGC or PCGS graded coin for equal or less than that price.

Where should I buy one of these coins? Slabbed ebay? I'm a bit hesitant to do this due to all those counterfeit NGC slabs.

By the way, I just tried to email them the mistake on the dates. I got a failure notice that the email didn't go through.

That's should be a sign to STAY A WAY

Stinky you should easily be able to find a TPG coin similar to those in Grades AU-MS-61/62 on Ebay from reputable sellers.

My advice .... be patient my friend !!!!!

I can't find any in TPG slabs on ebay.

Maybe I'm searching wrong? (shrug)

Check out this nice coin.

It will probably go for less than $175

http://cgi.ebay.com/1925-NGC-MS62-CZECHOSLOVAKIA-GOLD-DUCAT-DUKAT_W0QQitemZ330155726289QQihZ014QQcategoryZ547QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Keep a lookout for coins by the seller "goldcoincharter.net".

I have bought several gold coins from him over the past years. He generally sells lower priced TPG (NGC or PCGS) gold coins and he always has a "fair" "buy it now" price !!!

I see what you are saying and i would trust the RM on new coins BUT not on old coins they have baught in .. it's just the same as the company in the first post hear! you get what the give you .. :(

Well I just tried to email them the mistake on the dates. I got a failure notice that the email didn't go through.

That is enough info for me to say do not buy from them. If you cannot communicate with them via email, I would be scared.

There are a heap of NGC graded sovereigns on eBay at the moment. Some are mine, some are Goldbergs. Well worth a look especially since some types like Veil and George V coins go for a bargain price