• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Barometer of the local economy: The local coin shop.

5 posts in this topic

Well, I walked into a local B&M coin store the other day. The owner shows me a couple of nice collections in Dansco albums, nothing outrageous, but nicely put together by a couple of collectors who recently sold them. I asked the owner, you don't see these everyday, what's up? The owner stated, the collectors had to sell their nice collector coins to pay bills and pay the month's mortgage. Uh oh?

So, I inquire further. Most of the owner's purchases were "stuff" over the last few months. Now, better material is walking though the door. The collector buyers are also more infrequent. We came to the conclusion that if the really nice collector material started walking in, we knew economic times were getting tough for this area.

TRUTH

Near where I live there haven't been any quantity of nice pieces that have come through the local shops doors in over two years. In fact, I was just talking to one of the local guys yesterday about this and the only things people bring in are stamps, records, jewelry and modern commems.

Old type coin prices are still going up in auctions...and auctions apply to all geographic areas technically speaking...

I think that is because you live in California. You can't even buy a shovel full of dust for $50 in Cali.

i was going to post a shovelful of sh*t