• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

6-coin modern commemorative sets

5 posts in this topic

A few years ago, I bought a couple of the 6-coin sets of modern commems off eBay, since gold was cheap, and I'd never had one of those fancy wood box sets. So I got a Columbus set and I think a Mt. Rusmore set (though it might have been a Bill of Rights set, I can't remember). These have been locked in a safe deposit box for years, but last night as I was reading the Numismatic News, I saw an ad for a dealer selling the Columbus set for $800! I think I paid under $300 for each of these, so I was surprised at this. Have these sets been moving up? Or is it just the two gold coins that caused the move higher?

Here is a Mt. Rushmore set on eBay: 6-Coin set. This was an option with the earlier commems of the 1980s and 1990s, where you bought one of each coin, half eagle, dollar and half in both proof and unc, and the mint put them in a nice wooden box for you.