• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

*Try again* Could have found my UK eBay shield nickel find of the year

9 posts in this topic

Hi all

been hunting again and i have just won this Shield nickel on eBay(UK)

if you remember my last shield nickel post a couple of days ago i was close to finding a Very intresting coin .. but i will have to wait to see it in the hand before it can propably be identified .. Thanks to the Shield guru's for help with that one..

as for this one i am a little more confidant in my identification but for a couple of points.. please feel free to put me right !

The coin is :-

1867 No rays

Obverse Hub A

Reverse Hub II B

Both with slightly off center strikes

my educated gess on the Variety is that it is a

F-68 Missing leaf # 7

Discription:- The date is punched slightly closer to the rim than the ball.

The identification line follows the vertical column and crosses the "8" between the levels of 5&6.

there is a die break extending from the rim, under the left foot of the "1", up through the "1" and up into the ball.. BUT.

There is no mention of a Die crack running through the forth leaf cluster on the left of the coin !!

The only refrence i can find to such a die crack is (and even then the crack is running in an arch !!)

F-67 Missing leaf # 6

but non of the other identification features match this coin

Both of the above varietys are given a URS rating of 1 (one know/Unique) ? could i be so lucky ?

So is it a late die state F-68 or an unrecorded variety or none of the above I will wait and see what the people with the knowlage come up with..

Sellers pictures

02d4_1.jpg

01f3_1.jpg

:wishluck:

1-1.jpg

Your coin is definitely F-68 - the die crack through the date is conclusive. Fletcher is not comprehensive on covering all die cracks, and the coin photographed could have been from an earlier die stage.

All URS ratings should be taken with a large grain of salt. Obviously, F-68 is not URS-1.

Nice find ( I don't know what all the Fletcher stuff means, but it is a decent coin). Make sure you give that sucker a bath (in acetone!) as soon as you can, as the PVC around the edges could become a problem.

Your coin is definitely F-68 - the die crack through the date is conclusive. Fletcher is not comprehensive on covering all die cracks, and the coin photographed could have been from an earlier die stage.

All URS ratings should be taken with a large grain of salt. Obviously, F-68 is not URS-1.

:banana: Wahhay! got one right finaly (thumbs u

Howard how common would you say the F-68 is then ? i see there are 4 on the shield net .

thanks to you all for your congratulations lets see what i can find now