• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whereabouts of an 1837 Small 5c Capped Bust Half Dime, [MADLIB]

2 posts in this topic

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been reading Mark's thread on this mission with great interest. But I have nothing of value to add, so I thought I'd make it up, with hopes that others will add in their $.02, and maybe even get pictoral from Woody. The idea being to make this a humorous, fictional account of said coin.

Rebellions of 1837, the begining

In 1838, Robert Baldwin Jr. having resettled from Canada to the outskirts of Philly; after the bloody civil war there; was in a general store with his friend Tom to spend his shiny new nickel. The ensuing fight over what items to purchase resulted in the loss of the coin between the floor boards. Repeated attempts by the boys and the propreitor of the store failed to recover the coin.

[ok, who's next....]

One day, a mountaineer came into the store. He hadn't been in a town for years, and he was only there now to recruit travellers to move out west. His beard was long and scraggly, and the tanned face was deeply lined. There was a look in his eyes that told the storeowner that this grizzly man had many harrowing stories to tell.

By this time, the floorboards of the old store had begun to crack and rot. The store owner knew it was time to replace them, but times had been hard. The store owner had to take tokens in payment more than he took regular money, and even then there seemed to be fewer and fewer coins in the register.

The mountain man strode across the floor of the store, and as he stepped, the board cracked. His boot, with the sole worn through and stained with the mud of many lands, went through the floor. He reached down and pried his foot back out of the hole, and as he did, he noticed a shiny nickel there under the board. He pulled it out, and showed the store owner who had rushed out from behind the counter.

"Oh, I'm sorry sir. I need to replace those boards, but I haven't had the money."

"Here. This was under the board." The mountain man was not used to speaking; he barely croaked out the words.

"Thank you. I remember when the boy dropped his nickel down there. Here, I'll take 3 cents off your bill when you are ready, as a thank you."

The mountain man just grunted his appreciation, and got up to find the supplies he needed.