• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would NGC Cameo this coin - Opinions - 1883 Proof Morgan

20 posts in this topic

The reverse is all day Cameo. The obv is tough to tell, possibly because of the photo/lighting.

Based on what I see there - no. Do you have any other pics of the obverse?

Looking at E PLURIBUS UNUM, I can't see that it would grade cameo for the obverse. But what the heck, if you think it is that ugly, just send it to me and you won't have to worry about it. My birthday is in two weeks, anyway.

Chris

PCGS agreed

But for 10k - I dont think I will try the crack out game

I have not purchased this because if I am to upgrade my Morgan in My Proof set I want it to stay CAMEO //

This is a MS65 so says PCGS

Jgrinz, Your last post got me thinking... Is your regi$try ranking more important to you than the coin itself? In other words, who cares about what a TPG says. Isn't your goal to get the best set possible, not the best set as judged by a TPG? I don't know about you, and it wasn't always the case, but if given the choice between a "low end" 65 and a "gorgeous" 64, I'll take the 64 every time and the regi$try ranking be damned...Mike

PCGS agreed

But for 10k - I dont think I will try the crack out game

I have not purchased this because if I am to upgrade my Morgan in My Proof set I want it to stay CAMEO //

This is a MS65 so says PCGS

The services know that the cameo will take it to $10 grand too. For that reason the services don't hand out grades that increase prices on that scale like candy.

That coin is basically a dipped out Proof with an impressive cameo on the reverse. The obverse is 60 to 70 percent of the coin, and given that, you will need a lot of horseshoes to get that coin into a cameo holder. And if it gets there, it will sell at a "bargain" price because the smart money knows this coin doesn't really have what it takes.

The services know that the cameo will take it to $10 grand too. For that reason the services don't hand out grades that increase prices on that scale like candy.

That coin is basically a dipped out Proof with an impressive cameo on the reverse. The obverse is 60 to 70 percent of the coin, and given that, you will need a lot of horseshoes to get that coin into a cameo holder. And if it gets there, it will sell at a "bargain" price because the smart money knows this coin doesn't really have what it takes.

I agree 100%

Jgrinz, Your last post got me thinking... Is your regi$try ranking more important to you than the coin itself? In other words, who cares about what a TPG says. Isn't your goal to get the best set possible, not the best set as judged by a TPG? I don't know about you, and it wasn't always the case, but if given the choice between a "low end" 65 and a "gorgeous" 64, I'll take the 64 every time and the regi$try ranking be damned...Mike

My Obvious end is the ultimate Set acceptabe to me ( I am ALready #1 Mike ) so at this point as ALL my collections say " MRB Retirement " it is ultimately going to that end.

I am consistant looking to upgrade this set NOT with POINTS in mind but with the END product in mind to futher my NEEDS and Desires and VISUAL pleasure. You have to agree when looking at the set I have accumulated - The LOOK I was looking for NOT the points is what drove me ... What do you think about the coin if added to this collection

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/MySets_Listing.aspx?PeopleSetID=17289&SelectedTab=Gallery

Thanks for the opinion though it is appreciated.

Whaddya Think ..

:censored:yuk :makepoint:

Michael Your input is always a pleasure

Rock on Dude :)

well i see thiscoin and yes i cant see it in person but i see another dipped out improperly dipped ugly hazy cloudy and overgrsded ruined morgan to get a higher grade and cameo

and the price it is nutty

now maybe in hand sight seen this coin is great but based on my experiences with these coins and knowing waht i know about photos think coin is of deep concern to me

i do not see for myself any value or opportunity

moew msybe it will be the deal of the century and dowell and have greayt demand

but well i have my standards but not from me

if youwill be at balty i will show you a totally original killer eye appeal morgan thsat is killer deep cameo deeply toned but this original cased set toning and never been screwed with this is the coin i like

this coin in the photo makes me bervous and is maxed out and overpriced and ruined by some dipper strripper and also maybe it is the photo but it is a totally unbalanced coin with one side strong cameo the other not

it is too bad i csant see in in hand sight seen as in hand then i can change my opinion based on in hand sight seen sand remember it is all subjective opinion

maybe i am in the great minority here and i am off base i hope so

i think beauty is in the eye of the beholder

some people love steak others are vegans

i guedss i want everyone to undersytand what they are looking at with not only knowledge but most importantly perspective and only buy killer coinage that they can live with

also it depends on how youlook at things

for example

i know nothing aboujt most things and music for examplei can go to a conceret and listen to some orchastra play revel and love it

a trained symothy conductor being trained at the julliary school and eastman school of music can have doctoratre training and many years conducting will listen to it and see how it is so well executed on key and alsoin total harmonrey and with all this he will apprecaite the music more as he understand it andall thenuances

did i enjoy it YES

but thisx person who is trainded it this and an expert on it has even a greater enjoyment and apprecaition of it

same with these morgans

i am no dealer and never/ RARELY participate in the coin game i am just a collector that mostly is unseen and resally never gets to shows or conventions or auctions etc. so maybe for me i have my own thoughts that are totally different than anyone else

also with regards to eye appeal you either got the eye or not and same with color monster toning some cant see or understand monstertoning as they are color blind

i do not know and with photos in hand the coin this coin might be a rat pig or be a killer monster superlative coin or somewhere in between i can only go on my gut feeling and my experiences and understanding of seeing many photos and then seeing the coins and intrepreting waht i think i see

just my opinion

opinions are like holes everyone has them

well i see thiscoin and yes i cant see it in person but i see another dipped out improperly dipped ugly hazy cloudy and overgrsded ruined morgan to get a higher grade and cameo

and the price it is nutty

now maybe in hand sight seen this coin is great but based on my experiences with these coins and knowing waht i know about photos think coin is of deep concern to me

i do not see for myself any value or opportunity

moew msybe it will be the deal of the century and dowell and have greayt demand

but well i have my standards but not from me

if youwill be at balty i will show you a totally original killer eye appeal morgan thsat is killer deep cameo deeply toned but this original cased set toning and never been screwed with this is the coin i like

this coin in the photo makes me bervous and is maxed out and overpriced and ruined by some dipper strripper and also maybe it is the photo but it is a totally unbalanced coin with one side strong cameo the other not

it is too bad i csant see in in hand sight seen as in hand then i can change my opinion based on in hand sight seen sand remember it is all subjective opinion

maybe i am in the great minority here and i am off base i hope so

i think beauty is in the eye of the beholder

some people love steak others are vegans

i guedss i want everyone to undersytand what they are looking at with not only knowledge but most importantly perspective and only buy killer coinage that they can live with

also it depends on how youlook at things

for example

i know nothing aboujt most things and music for examplei can go to a conceret and listen to some orchastra play revel and love it

a trained symothy conductor being trained at the julliary school and eastman school of music can have doctoratre training and many years conducting will listen to it and see how it is so well executed on key and alsoin total harmonrey and with all this he will apprecaite the music more as he understand it andall thenuances

did i enjoy it YES

but thisx person who is trainded it this and an expert on it has even a greater enjoyment and apprecaition of it

same with these morgans

i am no dealer and never/ RARELY participate in the coin game i am just a collector that mostly is unseen and resally never gets to shows or conventions or auctions etc. so maybe for me i have my own thoughts that are totally different than anyone else

also with regards to eye appeal you either got the eye or not and same with color monster toning some cant see or understand monstertoning as they are color blind

i do not know and with photos in hand the coin this coin might be a rat pig or be a killer monster superlative coin or somewhere in between i can only go on my gut feeling and my experiences and understanding of seeing many photos and then seeing the coins and intrepreting waht i think i see

just my opinion

opinions are like holes everyone has them

Well. It could just be bad photos. How do you know what it looks like in hand?

The LOOK I was looking for NOT the points is what drove me ... What do you think about the coin if added to this collection

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/MySets_Listing.aspx?PeopleSetID=17289&SelectedTab=Gallery

Thanks for the opinion though it is appreciated.

I don't think that coin would look good in anyone's collection, and Bill Jones and Michael are correct in their analysis posted above.

Furthermore, I don't think that the look of that coin is comparable to the ones currently in your set -- for instance I prefer your current 63 over the above coin (at least from the photos).

However, it's YOUR opinion -- not mine or anyone else's -- that matters, and if that's the look you like, I say more power to you and who am I to judge!

That said, how would you define the LOOK you are after?