• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crack out or keep slabbed?

17 posts in this topic

I have a wide range of common date Morgan dollars in MS64 from the top four services (NCG, PCGS, ANACS and ICG). Some are toned, some are as pristine as the day they were liberated from mint storage in the 1960's.

I have not found a way to attractively display these coins from different TPGS (size of slab, different appearance, etc) that appeals to me. I'm considering cracking these out and putting them into a Dansco or Whitman album. Another possibility is to use the Eagle folder for certified coinage.

What would you do with common date Morgans? Keep 'em slabbed or crack 'em out?

Crack them out and put them in a Dansco album......or something similar. Not much point in keeping them in their plastic if they are widgets. I enjoy the morgans I have (maybe a dozen ) and all are free from plastic. Theres just something about being able to hold them that appeals to me.

I have a wide range of common date Morgan dollars in MS64 from the top four services (NCG, PCGS, ANACS and ICG). Some are toned, some are as pristine as the day they were liberated from mint storage in the 1960's.

I have not found a way to attractively display these coins from different TPGS (size of slab, different appearance, etc) that appeals to me. I'm considering cracking these out and putting them into a Dansco or Whitman album. Another possibility is to use the Eagle folder for certified coinage.

What would you do with common date Morgans? Keep 'em slabbed or crack 'em out?

Tim, common or not so common this is what i did to mine. Most are in air-tites.

Just click on photo. :hi:

th_Picture014-2.jpg

Rrantique, Please be careful with the black insert Airtites. They will tone your coins, and it will not be attractive toning. Please consider replacing the black insert with a white insert or use the direct fit ones.

Back to the topic at hand, I like the albums for Airtites and keep a set of large cents in them. I think it would be a great way to store/display a nice set of 64 common-date Morgans...Mike

I need to get my 3D glass so that I can get the full affects lrvin.

I would collect them all in the same type of slab and trade the rest for more of the same.

John

Rrantique, Please be careful with the black insert Airtites. They will tone your coins, and it will not be attractive toning. Please consider replacing the black insert with a white insert or use the direct fit ones.

Back to the topic at hand, I like the albums for Airtites and keep a set of large cents in them. I think it would be a great way to store/display a nice set of 64 common-date Morgans...Mike

Thanks Mike, although they have not been a problem here. Can you show me some examples of this toning? Information greatly appreciated. :hi:

Know what you mean John, they come pretty fast.3_2_126.gif

How many do you have? What are the dates and mintmarks? Have you checked them all very carefully for varieties? Before you go cracking them out, keep in mind that 64's are still nice coins and the holders can protect them from most environmental conditions.

I have about 100 slabbed Morgans, and I've found that about 20-25% of these are unattributed VAM's. Altogether, I have about 350 Morgans with separate portfolios (zippered notebooks) for CC's, DMPL's, VAM's, toners, slabbed & raw. This is just my way of organizing them because there is no point in having them in one album (Dansco or any other) that will almost certainly have empty slots. I have to accept the fact that there will be some that I cannot afford (in certain grades) and I don't particularly care to look at empty spaces. I don't need any album to remind me what I need. Besides, whether they are in slabs, 2x2's or flips, it is still easier to take them out of the pages to look at or photograph.

Chris

Well, I'll be darned! Someone else came up with the same problem that I had and reported here about 2-1/2 years ago. I had 30 Morgans that I put in the AirTites with the black accent rings. I discovered that every one of them had turned very, very black on the edges and it was slowly encroaching onto the obverse/reverse of the coins.

DON'T USE THE BLACK ACCENT RINGS!

Chris

Well, I'll be darned! Someone else came up with the same problem that I had and reported here about 2-1/2 years ago. I had 30 Morgans that I put in the AirTites with the black accent rings. I discovered that every one of them had turned very, very black on the edges and it was slowly encroaching onto the obverse/reverse of the coins.

DON'T USE THE BLACK ACCENT RINGS!

Chris

Thanks Chris and Mike ,wonder if it is something in air down there in Florida? I have not had that problem here. But perhaps you all are correct and I am certainly not much of a gambler. I will heed your advice and not wait to see what can happen.10_5_133.gif

Thanks for the opinions that have been expressed. (thumbs u

Chris, I need to check the VAM's before I start a major crack out campaign. Chad, while they are widgets, they are solid 64's and do have the current protection of the slabs. Beyond that, I'm really not a big fan of slabs for display purposes, although they are safer to pass around than some other holders. I'm also disappointed by how easily slabs get scratched.

I guess I'm looking for a nice way to peruse my coins and compare them at a glance without storing them in a slab box. I agree with TerrapinWill that there is something about being able to handle a coin that is not entombed in plastic. Albums are nice but they do not allow you to easily see the third side of the coin.

Airtites have been my preferred holder of choice but that has been shifting to Eagle lately. I'm just not as happy with the Eagle 2x2 album holder. The 2x2 has a tight fit but there is an annoying clear piece of plastic as an added protection to keep the 2x2 in place but it distorts the coin in the album.

Ah decisions, decisions, decisions :/(shrug):juggle:

Ah decisions, decisions, decisions :/(shrug):juggle:

You know, there is one other alternative that will satisfy "both sides of the coin" in a toss-up. (No pun intended!) You can keep all of these in the slabs, and buy more raw ones that you can remove from an album, AirTite, 2x2 or whatever to admire them. Start your own little hoard like I did!

Chris

Despite the fact that they are widgets, they are worth more in the holders than they are raw. Eagle offered slab pages some years ago. They even had inserts for the old ANACS slabs so that they could be mounted with the other coins. If you have to have the coins laid out in an album, that might be a better financial choice.

Keep them slabbed, otherwise you lose out. Stack like holders with like holders as far as storage.

When I set up at shows I have slabs from the 4 major grading services (ANACS, NGC, ICG, PCGS). I simply keep them together in order to stack excess or like items. I usually have a sign at the show - Cash Paid for Certified Coins. I will pay up to 95% of CDN Bid for coins from these 4 major grading services if I have a need for them in inventory. I have also taken big ticket coins (over $1000 Bid Value) on commission at 5%. Some, the consignor wantated to negotiate a sale after a couple of months on consignment and took an offer of CDN Bid less 5% and was happy to sell. This was a group of MS 63 and MS 64 $20 Libs and Saints and have since been sold to various of my clients at minimal markup for quick inventory turnover.