• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can NCS do about "porous surfaces" ?

2 posts in this topic

NSW 1813 DUMP, very rare.. it has great detail

However it has dark toned and porous surfaces, dealer says must have been buried hence the price drop.

What can NCS do about a coin that has had surface degradation like this ? obviously it can't be slabbed in anything except Details or Genuine holder.. which would be fine. Mainly thinking what can be done for eye appeal and to prevent any further corrosion occurring

Anyway, here's the coin, I know its just an image so hard to say etc etc :)

dump.jpg

PS.. whats with replying on this? it says moderated but the post never showed up.. was just some images of my 1937 Crown. (I've sent it in anyway:) )

Unfortunately, porous surfaces are something that can not be helped through professional conservation. Corrosion has severely altered and damaged the surfaces and restoring those surfaces is something conservation would not be able to do.

Likely the best we would be able to do with a coin such as yours is authenticate it, then encapsulate it with a details grade.

I believe this is the question and response to your question about the crown coin:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1785472&page=1#Post1785472

Chris, NCS