• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could have found my eBay shield Nickel bargin of the year

13 posts in this topic

I could of found my find of the year on ebay !! (worship)

Looks to me to be A

1868 Shield Nickel

Reverse hub IIB

FS# 5c-002.94 - Variety1

Obverse hub A

Missing leaf Variety

Possable F-54 (will not be able to propley id it until it arrives !)

Sorry about the sellers pictures :sorry:

4b07_1.jpg

4c21_1.jpg

what do you think have i cherrypicked :angel: or not :devil: !

ps cost me £11

dooly :devil:

Don't know much about Shield varities, is this a particularly valuable one?

I'm not sure either Chad. PCGS doesn't show much so it would have to do with the variety if it was a cherrypick. (shrug)

Don't know much about Shield varities, is this a particularly valuable one?

valuable Well !!!

Reverse hub IIb ("reverse of 1868," is found only on 1868 Nickels and only a small percentage).

FS# 5c-002.94 - Variety 1 is identified by the broken lower serif of the letter C in cents Estamated mintage of 1, 392.000 or 48% of total 1868 rev hub IIb coins

2001 CP for Variety 1 is F-12 $20, EF-40 $35, AU-50 $75 MS-60 $110

Obverse Hub A, Reverse Hub IIb IE 101 (Fletcher) URS-8 = 65 to 125 know or one of every twenty five coins.

Missing Leaf (if it is) F-54 or number 14

" the date is punched high, almost touching the ball "8" at level 4. is URS-1 = 1 Known, Unique !!!!!! Value unknown

Closest for comparison in CP (2001) are the URS-3 FS# 5c 003.985 which is not the rarer Hub IIb and has a RPD is XF-$95; AU-55-$150

And

FS# 5c - 003.99 Which is also a URS-3 Missing leaf and Circular scribe mark. also of the commner Rev hub IIa is XF-$150; Au-55-$225

So back to the question is it valuable ?Well Chad that depends on IF IT IS WHAT I THINK IT IS ! but if it is a URS-1/2 there is not enough sales to have a gesstamate

i think its worth a million $'s just for the shear intrest alone (thumbs u

lol Chad lol

some one said the other day " i should get the guides out" well you see what happens when i do !!

I LOVE THIS HOBBY !!! (thumbs u

Hi Dooly -- I received your PM. The coin is an FS-02.94. The variety is fairly common and doesn't command much of a premium. FWIW, based on my review of coins, I think that Dennis Paulsen slightly overestimated the rarity level of rev. IIb. I think I see a faint outer leaf on the cluster, so I tend to doubt that it's a missing leaf variety. But, assuming that it is a ML, I wouldn't be able to attribute it right now because I'm at work without my references. Judging from the pictures (which is always risky), the coin looks to be cleaned with VF details.

Hi Dooly -- I received your PM. The coin is an FS-02.94. The variety is fairly common and doesn't command much of a premium. FWIW, based on my review of coins, I think that Dennis Paulsen slightly overestimated the rarity level of rev. IIb. I think I see a faint outer leaf on the cluster, so I tend to doubt that it's a missing leaf variety. But, assuming that it is a ML, I wouldn't be able to attribute it right now because I'm at work without my references. Judging from the pictures (which is always risky), the coin looks to be cleaned with VF details.

4b07_1-2.jpg

best i could do with my pants photo editer (& a pants picture)

i like the way it has turned the U into a C lol

at least i got the 02.94 right at least i am improving with all your help Thanks (thumbs u

Nice find Dooly! I can see the missing leaf, but can't make out whether the "scribe mark" is visible or not with these photos. Hope it is. This coin will have more variations than a hosta plant. Good buy and yes I believe you cherrypicked one. Now if it had only been a little higher grade............ :baiting:

What a diffrence having a coin in the hand makes!

i have just recived the coin today (nice Quick ebay seller)

Well its like a diffrent animal now.. I was wrong about the coin and so were others !!

just shows how difficult it is to trust a picture..

BUT.. it still is very intresting and i am very happy with the £11 i spent

in the sellers picture it looked cleaned in the hand it looks nice and dirty..

there are some very nice die cracks running through STATES OF AMERICA..

Some form of dubbling around parts of the number 5 and the denticals

it is not a missing leaf and how it was not visable in the sellers pictures i will never know.

The 1 & 8 in the date looks as if it is doubled in a Clockwise direction but needs conservation to clean this area before i am sure

the edge is also intresting as the reverse edge is very deepley cut

there seems to be very little wear to the coin and i would say some areas are weekly struck not worn

Please have a look at the photos and see what you think

so not what i taught it was but still an intresting coin in my eyes

1868.jpg

1868r.jpg

1868a.jpg

1868s.jpg

1868d.jpg

18685.jpg

1868e.jpg

:)