• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about Coin Cleaners

15 posts in this topic

Here is an ad for "MS70" which tells a little it about it, though, contrary to what is stated, it sometimes alters the color of copper coins: See here:

And here is a brief discussion on "dipping" (which is not recommended for copper and nickel coinage), though, contrary to what is stated, it is not done "infrequently" these days: See here

I have stumbled across that PCGS article before, and do not like it due to the inaccurate and misleading information. PCGS should remove it or correct it.
James, I already made note of one thing I thought was inaccurate - please elaborate? :devil:

A lightly toned silver coin, if immersed in a clear liquid silver dip, carefully rinsed, neutralized in a solution of baking soda and water (without the application of any friction or rubbing), and then carefully dried by patting, will have its original mint brilliance restored. If a Proof coin is dipped once or twice, chances are that there will be no problem. If a Proof coin is dipped multiple times, gradually the mirror surface will become hazy and cloudy, and the value will be impaired. James F. Ruddy's Photograde book discusses this and other considerations in detail.

Uncirculated business strike coins possessing lustrous surfaces can be dipped multiple times without apparent adverse effects, for the microscopic ridges which cause mint lustre tend to mask the effects of the clouding, but if a piece is dipped too many times, it will become dull and unattractive.

Just to put you guys on the spot, here's the relevant part of the article, what's incorrect. I ask because I read Photograde, and came away with a much more reserved impression than the above.

A lightly toned silver coin, if immersed in a clear liquid silver dip, carefully rinsed, neutralized in a solution of baking soda and water (without the application of any friction or rubbing), and then carefully dried by patting, will have its original mint brilliance restored. If a Proof coin is dipped once or twice, chances are that there will be no problem. If a Proof coin is dipped multiple times, gradually the mirror surface will become hazy and cloudy, and the value will be impaired. James F. Ruddy's Photograde book discusses this and other considerations in detail.

Uncirculated business strike coins possessing lustrous surfaces can be dipped multiple times without apparent adverse effects, for the microscopic ridges which cause mint lustre tend to mask the effects of the clouding, but if a piece is dipped too many times, it will become dull and unattractive.

Just to put you guys on the spot, here's the relevant part of the article, what's incorrect. I ask because I read Photograde, and came away with a much more reserved impression than the above.

My main disagreement would be with part of the second paragraph. I don't think any coin can be dipped "multiple times without apparent adverse effects". Of course the next sentence says "if a piece is dipped too many times, it will become dull and unattractive", so I don't see their distinction between "multiple times" and 'too many times". hm

I've never really been able to understand when dipping is a good idea, and when a product like MS70 might be desirable.

Dipping is for silver.

MS70 is for copper.

dipped.jpg

Point being, there are no exact guidelines when it comes to coin conservation. Each coin is different than the next so each procedure such as length of time, chemical saturation and methods are going to be unique to that coin.

Sure, you can do a tub of AU Mercury Dimes and they might come out looking like a bunch of clones and if that is what you are striving for, you have succeeded.

I can usually spot a dipped coin as opposed to one with original mint surfaces but the techniques and the chemicals are getting better and better as time passes.

The "un-messed with" are getting harder and harder to find...that only helps the originals in collections to become even more desirable.

It is a fine line that helps or hampers any particular coin...do it wrong and it stays wrong.

Just something to mull over.

I've never really been able to understand when dipping is a good idea, and when a product like MS70 might be desirable.

Dipping is for silver.

MS70 is for copper.

so then MS70 is useless on silver?

You can use MS70 on gold, silver, nickel, copper, bronze and brass.

still sounding like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, I have to ask why exactly people use MS70, as opposed to dip?

Will, I believe that unlike dipping a coin with JewelLuster or other similar products, applying MS70 will remove surfaces contaminants, etc, without also taking off toning, etc.

By the way, there was nothing even remotely idiotic about your question. :gossip:

You can use MS70 on gold, silver, nickel, copper, bronze and brass.

still sounding like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, I have to ask why exactly people use MS70, as opposed to dip?

Will, I believe that unlike dipping a coin with JewelLuster or other similar products, applying MS70 will remove surfaces contaminants, etc, without also taking off toning, etc.

By the way, there was nothing even remotely idiotic about your question. :gossip:

so will MS70 work on many of the same surface contaminants as acetone?