• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

will you willingly cavort with the "Consortium" when it is officially "online"

29 posts in this topic

hm

or should i say will you be a willing participant in this first beginning step leading towards a new 100 point grading system by the two top slabbing services

hm:o:sumo::foryou:

hm

or should i say will you be a willing participant in this first beginning step leading towards a new 100 point grading system by the two top slabbing services

I simply can't follow your logic that leads you to this conclusion.

If its not broken leave it alone, I disagree. Chinese invented the first adding machine (abacus) they left it alone and became a third world novelty. United States, with the big three auto makers are always at the bottom(in the 10 best categories)because they choose not to improve on there products, when they were leading the pack.

These people or companys who are testing these new changes are just gaving us another options. These trial and errors are need it to make improvements as to keeping up with changing times. I'll will have an open mind to changes, and only time will tell wheather I will accept the changes or not.

John

I'm all for a new grading system, that adds new grades to coins that have hundreds/thousands in one grade but 23 in the next higher. But I don't think that's what this CAC is about. It might be a side effect, but a fire sale on Saints might be a side effect too...hehe

My impression is that this sticker is more to protect the investment of the market makers (aka members), than little ole me. They are simply guaranteeing that this is a coin they (the CAC) will buy.

Is it worth more to you to know right where to go to buy the coin you want, today, right this minute and know that if/when you sell it, there will be a buyer right that minute, offering a published buy and sell price that you've been charting to find the right time to sell.

hm

I simply can't follow your logic that leads you to this conclusion.

your loss.................................

Just to let it be known, I can say with the utmost certainty that I have no idea what anyone is talking about here lately. hm

jom

Just to let it be known, I can say with the utmost certainty that I have no idea what anyone is talking about here lately. hm

jom

Read just about any thread with "CAC" in the title from the beginning. Eventually you should begin to understand some things about it (but don't be fooled, everyone here knows just about nothing concrete as of the last time I checked).

will you willingly cavort with the "Consortium" when it is officially "online"

Yes. Not only will it give me some assurances of my own eye and how my coins would be viewed in the marketplace, but it would also make it easier to sell my coins should something, heaven forbid, happen to me and my family wanted/needed to liquidate my coin collection.

Like TDN and Mark and others, I don't follow you Michael. You made a turn somewhere and lost me. Kindly explain your logic. Thanks...Mike

If I understand Michael correctly, and I may be wrong, the 100 point scale will accommodate the kind of judgement labeling the consortium plans on doing anyway.

After some thought, perhaps Michael is saying that stickered coins will be viewed like mid-grades. Kind of like the * does for NGC. In other words, instead of there being XF grades of XF 40 and XF 45, there would be XF 40, XF 40 CAC, XF 45, XF 45 CAC, etc. I'm not sure I agree how that this moves us closer to a 100 point grading system, but I think I understand how this will make "more" grades than are currently recognized.

Michael, would you confirm (or deny) this interpretation? Thanks...Mike

After some thought, perhaps Michael is saying that stickered coins will be viewed like mid-grades. Kind of like the * does for NGC. In other words, instead of there being XF grades of XF 40 and XF 45, there would be XF 40, XF 40 CAC, XF 45, XF 45 CAC, etc. this moves us closer to a 100 point grading system, but I think I understand how this will make "more" grades than are currently recognized.

Michael, would you confirm (or deny) this interpretation? Thanks...Mike

true and simple explaination mikeinfl

eventually leads to a new 100 or whatever grading point system .......thereby limiting the liability of the largest plastic investor pricing services for the tens of millions of dollars worth of mistakes currently out there in extremely valuable plastic priced holders

Once again, Michael has lost me.

not surprisingly

Michael, when, as is the case here, approximately half of the respondents to your thread have trouble following your thought process/reasoning, continued rudeness on your part is not the solution.

If there was a genuine move toward a 100 point grading scale there would be easier ways of doing it than through the consortium. This just seems a long winding path to get there.

mark feld i was not rude

the person one anagin implying thst everything i post i do not make sence

i think he was rude and i really do not appreciate you baiting me on here

the man cuodl have said i do not undersytand not once again implying something different like i never make sence on any posts

mark i am reaher surprised you would judge me this harshly and totally uncalled for hm

mark i really do not apprecaite this ganging up on me like this

mike in fl and some other people onhis thread seem to understand it quite well

Michael shouldn't be offended by any of the comments. I, for one, didn't really understand what he was trying to say. I do admit, I often have a hard time following some of his posts but usually I work through with using my special "decoder ring". Michael does have a lot of good things to say so it usually is worth the effort. :)

If this was some sort of thread on the 100 point grading system all I can say is that is a bad idea....regardles of "CAC" or anyone else. To me LESS grades (not more) is the way to go and let the market decide the "in between" prices. If this is not what Michael was referring to then I apologize for any digression...

jom

As I have hundreds of slabbed coins, I have no use for anything which will result in more grading fees, etc. In addition, a considerable portion of my Numismatic Portfolio is in Bullion and Currency (not affected by CAC).

I am concerned CAC may put downward pressure on non stickered coins if there is a large proliferation of stickered coins. Dealers may hedge their bets on what they offer for non stickered coins possibly offering only 50 - 60% of CDN Bid for these. With this in mind, I feel for collectors trying to liquidate their coins at a show and then someone using the excuse that the coin is non CAC stickered to low ball the seller. I need to see how this is really going to play out.

CAC should benefit a select group of people who want to strengthen sight unseen liquidity on big ticket coins over $1000. I don't have anything against nice coins over $1000 (I have a few myself) but buyers need to be cognizant of certain liquidity issues with this type of numismatic material. Even if we are all in love with a numismatic coin and it is stickered you still have to have a buyer that wants it at the seller's asking price. Another concern of mine is what if 5 - 10 years down the line the CAC stickered coins develops unattractive toning? Tell me if I am wrong, but I do not believe the slabbed holders are exactly air tight nor is the coin in a vacuum. Consequently, reaction with heat, humidity, and the atmosphere could cause unattractive toning or damage over time.

I think, ultimately, the CAC's sticker will have the same significance of the eagle eye seal. It will help, a little. Ultimately the coin must stand on its own merits, regardless of plastic entombment. The problem, though, is in the area of selling. A less knowledgeable or unconfident seller would stand to do a little better in selling a stickered coin than trying to prove the coin's merits to a dealer who only offers bid or back of bid. And that is one aspect that I think sometimes gets lost.

It's nice to think of buyers as altruistic but the reality is that all are looking to maximize their profit and it takes a seller who is confident in what they have to stand toe to toe with the seller. The sticker *may* help a little in that area for a seller who isn't an accomplished salesman. In this example, buyers are dealers and sellers are non-dealers.