• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan in an IGA slab

12 posts in this topic

I bought an 1899 MS-64/65 morgan in an IGA slab, graded in Jan '87. Now I understand how the term SLAB came about. I'll send a pic, when I figure out how take one through all that plastic...lol

So what's the story with IGA slabs? since the coin got some toning in it, it's not much for conservation. Should I just remove the coin and chuck the bullet-proof 5 X7 shield it's in. I was thinking of a nice air-tite and just keeping the slab for nostalgia.

I'm also perplexed as to why there would be 2 slots in this holder, there's holes for 2 coins in it hm

I bought an 1899 MS-64/65 morgan in an IGA slab, graded in Jan '87. Now I understand how the term SLAB came about. I'll send a pic, when I figure out how take one through all that plastic...lol

So what's the story with IGA slabs? since the coin got some toning in it, it's not much for conservation. Should I just remove the coin and chuck the bullet-proof 5 X7 shield it's in. I was thinking of a nice air-tite and just keeping the slab for nostalgia.

I'm also perplexed as to why there would be 2 slots in this holder, there's holes for 2 coins in it hm

Is yours complete ??? It should look like this and pictures do not look to be a problem

42092-iga.jpg.3893250df8fafec556fb7ac4d9481d57.jpg

I take it, this is a real holder, then. Is the coin fine in this beast, its toned from the original pics, so I'm questioning if the plastic is inert.

f_3635682c1cm_8c48201.jpg

The slab is 3/8 inch of plexiglass, and 4.5 X 7.5 inches.

Here's the coin itself. Not sure I got any kind of bargain, but $30 wasn't bad I thought.

f_3635680c1m_f61de00.jpg

f_3635681c1am_ddff698.jpg

If your having second thoughts send it to me, I'll take it for the price you paid. The coin looks better than most of my NGC 64s and I like the way this one is graded.

John

No, IGA did not use plastic holders other than what jgrinz showed. The hard plexiglas holder is an aftermarket holder. Probably a Capital Plastics holder intended to hold two dollar coins, so as to show obv and rev, combined with a photo of a loved on, new baby etc. You will note that the holder was not designed for the certificate and it intrudes on the screwposts on either side at the bottom. Your certificate is one of the later ones, the latest one I have seen is from April of 87.

jgrinz has an early one. The earliest date I've seen is March of 85.

You're supposed to cut the coin in half, duh! :insane:

You're supposed to cut the coin in half, duh! :insane:

Thanks, this is my first morgan purchase.I also thought the dual grading was cool, and I liked the look of the coin.

good, I won't feel bad about ditching the capitol plastic then, when/if I decide to do anything else with it. I'll definitely save the cert then.

I looked to check if it matched any of the 1899 micro-O VAMs, the O looked funny. It didn't have any of the identifying marks from the VAM website someone posted here. Thanks for that, btw.. Very interesting reading especially when you have a coin in hand.