• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help identifying host coin

5 posts in this topic

Posted about this ATS, but thus far nothing definitive. It's an odd piece, a Columbian Exposition elongated piece, then inscribed... although oddly the date inscribed predates when the elongated piece would have been made. Perhaps the product of a Civil War re-enactor? Doesn't make sense though, as I would assume that both the Columbian Exposition and the date 1888 would be out-of-era for a re-enactor. Perhaps the existing elongated coin was later used out of convenience to create a dogtag or luggage tag? But then why the 1888 date? Birth date perhaps?

Weird.

I initially thought that the host was a shield nickel, but as was pointed out to me, shield nickels don't have stars on the field. Could the 13 stars mean it's a confederate piece of some sort?

Certainly a bizarro piece.

Any assistance is appreciated.

COLUMBIANTAG1.jpg

COLUMBIANTAG2.jpg

Posted about this ATS, but thus far nothing definitive. It's an odd piece, a Columbian Exposition elongated piece, then inscribed... although oddly the date inscribed predates when the elongated piece would have been made. Perhaps the product of a Civil War re-enactor? Doesn't make sense though, as I would assume that both the Columbian Exposition and the date 1888 would be out-of-era for a re-enactor. Perhaps the existing elongated coin was later used out of convenience to create a dogtag or luggage tag? But then why the 1888 date? Birth date perhaps?

Weird.

I initially thought that the host was a shield nickel, but as was pointed out to me, shield nickels don't have stars on the field. Could the 13 stars mean it's a confederate piece of some sort?

Certainly a bizarro piece.

Any assistance is appreciated.

COLUMBIANTAG1.jpg

COLUMBIANTAG2.jpg

My kind of item (thumbs u

dont know if i should help if you did not post this over hear first.?? lol

You are right the host coin is not a shield nickel..

the closest i could find to it are

Civil war tokens

Reverse dies 1247,1248,1249,1352,1424& 1425 the 1352 is the only one with leaves around the shield..

Trade tokens

Burns Folz & sons Ohio (good for one 2 horse load) 16 stars and no leaves

Hotel Savoy Cincinnati (1897-1909) 21 stars no leaves

and

Squirrel hunters Reunion Springfield Ohio 1880 21 stars and no leaves

So no positive ID but i would gess the host was a token

all the best in the hunt dooly (thumbs u

Looks like the hole was drilled after the pressing as the hole passes through the lettering and through the shield on the backside. An original vendor/mfg. would probably have avoided that. (The C & E were probably joined together like the N & N)

Although it's dated 1893, the pre-date of 1888 is more than likely the death date of C.B. Smalley, R.I.P. as a new born would have included the month, day and year as part of the celebration. (speculation vs. fact)

As to a host coin? ~shrug~ Remember, a nickel in 1892/93 was a considerable sum of money to be pressed into a token tinkette for re-sale to the public.

Sheldon is just south of Chicago, host of the 1893 Exposition on the Illinois/Indiana boarder, within buggy distance to the fair.

I don't think the shield design was part of the host coin. It looks to me like it was engraved on the piece AFTER it was elongated. The only thing I can see in this piece that was part of the host coin in the area below the 1888 date. What is the weight and apparent composition of the piece?