• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1854-S $10 Milwaukee newp

12 posts in this topic

I love this coin. It met with mixed reviews amongst the dealers I showed it too, mostly because it's quite marked up, but I bought this coin because it appears to be an unfooled with piece of gold, many many marks, but none of them are wipe marks. The patination is just gorgeous, and the reverse, which is much nicer, is a killer...I think...at least. Also, the coin has historic value because this is the first year the U.S. Mint branch in San Francisco minted coins (after the U.S. Assay office had been created), and the Gold Rush era is truly reflected in this coin.

589a930f6cc0a_42041-185410Obverse.JPG.3d2f01d588c5917258b867519adf594b.JPG

589a930f6fc1d_42042-185410reverse.JPG.8aaeb5ae5fb00e469b0cf38fa4cc1505.JPG

Perhaps you would have gotten more favorable comments had you shown the coin to dealers who were more familiar with pre-Civil War Coronet gold.

Nice coin!

Love them big-S coins!

Perhaps you would have gotten more favorable comments had you shown the coin to dealers who were more familiar with pre-Civil War Coronet gold.

Nice coin!

Love them big-S coins!

I really like your comment Dave, (thumbs u lot of truth in it, I sold an 1802 large cent that the ANA and had offers from dealers that were just 55% of what I sold the coin for, the low guys couldn’t see the coin for what it really was or think I don’t. (shrug)

Mike, I think the original, nice and crusty, not messed with look is an asset for this coin that well out weighs any distraction caused by bag marks, 150 year old coins that haven’t been pawed up by cleaning or stripping are hard to come by, it’s great you got it.

The first year issue from San Francisco is very cool too; I once owned two 1906-D gold pieces, half eagle and an eagle partly because of being first year issues. I had planned on collecting other first years but then decided to just stick with my type set.

Excellent! You did a great job capturing the color, which is very tough. That looks like a fantastic coin, and it is a scarce date to boot...