• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Articles by David Lange in CW and Numismatist

10 posts in this topic

There are excellent two articles (Coin World, and Numismatist) by numismatist David Lange that everyone who enjoys the hobby of coin collecting will enjoy. They deal with the much-used but seldom appreciated subject of coin boards – the cardstock sheets with coin-sized holes in them. Many of us began collecting by trying to fill the holes in these and the smaller-size coin folders. Dates, mint marks and mintages printed under each opening were often our first introduction “rarity” and led to buying a “Red Book” and other books and coins.

Although most of our coin boards and folders are probably tucked away in some box or attic trunk, they hold a lot of good memories of family, friends, community and just being a kid, for many collectors.

David has a new book on the subject of coin boards that will be available in a few weeks. I highly recommend it for the numismatic education and nostalgia it carries; and maybe – just maybe – it will inspire you to find that old set of Buffalo nickels and remember the goodness you or a parent plucked from circulation.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be on the look out for them.

Do the articles cover Capital Plastics, which I think are/were the last incarnation of coin boards?

Interesting that you would mention this. At the St. Louis coin show, I picked up a couple of boards and am putting coins in them right now. I'm focusing on nice G/VG coins. When they progress beyond the initial minimal phase, I'll take images of them.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I just flew in from Milwaukee, and boy are my arms tired!

Always open with a joke . . .

My book covers the coin boards produced from 1934 through 1948, all of which are cardboard, so there's nothing about Capitol Plastics.

The book is a complete history of the seven coin board publishers, and it features a catalog of all known varieties, as well as a grading guide, checklist and values over four grades for each entry.

The books are being shipped to me from the printer August 27, so I should have them in a couple of weeks. I believe there will be something about it in the next NGC newsletter.

Congratulations :applause:

BTW…David, yesterday I heard a commotion in my bird bath; there was several crows and a bearded man who appeared to have on head gear with horns, was that you in my bird bath stopping for water? hm

Dave... I read the article in Numismatic News and was very intrigued. I may have to buy the book.

BTW... did you know that Littleton was selling their old coinboards? According to their website, these were "found" in their warehouse and they are making them available to the public.

Scott :hi:

This is very cool stuff. I've not been met with more enthusiasm than by Dave when he was speaking of coin boards. Conversations with him over the topic have made me look at coin boards ever since, always hoping to find something old (relatively) or unusual, or even more recent and well preserved. This is a great aspect of the hobby, relevant to anyone who grew up stuffing the holes in their Whitman albums (&c.), and who value the history of the hobby. I look forward to the book.

Hoot

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

BTW... did you know that Littleton was selling their old coinboards?

I did know about this. David Sundman, Littleton's president, is a fellow collector of coin boards. He and I did some horse trading over them a few months ago, and he has written the foreword to my book.