• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 1969 S cent, different S style mint marks

10 posts in this topic

Im going through a few rolls of the 1969 S ( BU Coins). And have noticed that most of the S mint mark is thick and bulky looking, and a few S marks are clear, sharp and a lot more skinny. Can anyone shed some info on this. Its like the clear S on 81 cents (only more fine curves, Vs the filled S

the only thing i can find is info on a doubled die s mint penny. even called my dealer buddy and he just knows of the doubled die. sorry !

I have only one 1969s im my collection (and not a very good one at that !)

which mint mark would you say this is ?

1969s.jpg

1969sc.jpg

hey dooly :) that would be an s mint mark :P <<

please scan coin in question utah. or coins so we can see just what it is you are seeing.

Do you have photos of the coins for comparison. These mint marks were hand stamped and vary significantly depending on the die. I have never heard of a specific mint mark variety, do you have a double die 1969S?

While your etiquette needs some help, I won't go into that as it has been covered. You asked a question and I will try to help you. My guesses are that what you're referring to is either: A) the depth of the mint mark punch when struck varies from die to die, or B) it is the function of striking pressure (heavy strike vs. lighter strike) when the planchet is struck. :)

A picture is worth quite a few posts, especially obnoxious ones. Please post some photos and we may be able to answer your question. As there were weak mint strikes and strong mint strikes, it would be far more instructive to see pics.

Welcome to the forum regardless of which foot you start off on.

My guesses are that what you're referring to is either: A) the depth of the mint mark punch when struck varies from die to die, or B) it is the function of striking pressure (heavy strike vs. lighter strike) when the planchet is struck.

And C) effects of thinning of different areas of the S due to polishing of the dies.

Then there can be close repunched mintmarks, and possibly even a worn coin with machine doubling