• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

American Buffalo gold proof looks terrible.

29 posts in this topic

I have seen some bumps on Lincoln cents. I have heard that may be some possible air that may have not gotten completly out before the gold plating. This would be also for the lincolns as to getting plated with copper over zinc.(shrug)

I have seen some bumps on Lincoln cents. I have heard that may be some possible air that may have not gotten completly out before the gold plating. This would be also for the lincolns as to getting plated with copper over zinc.(shrug)

What gold plating?

Sorry Zach. That was the wrong statement to use. The golds have a slight content of another metal right. I'm thinking the mixture of these 2 metals may have caused some slight air. I'm not much on gold and don't know if this could happen (shrug)

Here's the wrinkled or crinkled appearance he is talking about. I had a problem with it also - it just does not look like a proof coin with all the bumps.

65045529.jpg

Sorry Zach. That was the wrong statement to use. The golds have a slight content of another metal right. I'm thinking the mixture of these 2 metals may have caused some slight air. I'm not much on gold and don't know if this could happen (shrug)

Gold coins have copper and silver in them, silver to add to it's brilliance, and copper for strength. These are mixed in at thousands of degrees, and would not cause bumps in the planchet.

Indeed, this is how the coin is supposed to look. They copied the Original design, rather than the later modifications.

We had a speaker two months ago at our local coin club. He said that the fields were meant to be rough in the original design in order to portray the roughness of the American Frontier. When Charles Barber* was given permission to change the way the "FIVE CENTS" was put on the reverse, he also - without permission - altered many of the other design elements, including flattening the fields.

*Personally, I think Charles Barber should've been fired LOOOONG before that due to his horrid designs, but he also should've been fired for this, which he unfortunately wasn't.

I personally love the "bumpy" fields. Breaks the monotony....

And also, PROOF is not a design, but a method of manufacturing. Proof does NOT mean smooth mirrored fields......

MM :whatev:

Gold coins have copper and silver in them, silver to add to it's brilliance, and copper for strength. These are mixed in at thousands of degrees, and would not cause bumps in the planchet.

Indeed, this is how the coin is supposed to look. They copied the Original design, rather than the later modifications.

These coins are .9999 fine...

These coins are .9999 fine...

That leaves .00001 other stuff. It's copper and silver.

The 2006 Buffalo is the coin that captured my interest and brought me into this wonderful hobby so my vote is the gold Buffalo!

Thanks for the great close-up shot and the comparison shot of smooth and rough fields. I prefer the rough field now that I have all the interesting info you all have furnished.