• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper Coin Book Help

5 posts in this topic

I have another Bust Half book that I would like to read, but after that I think I need to read a book about copper. I have a large section in my typeset where I have very little idea of what I am looking for. I’d like to find a book that will tell me what to look for and avoid when buying copper coins. At this time, I’m not super concerned with specific dates of cents or half cents, just what I should be looking for in terms of the coins surfaces. Anyone know a book similar to what I am describing?

Thanks for any suggestions!

I think you will be challenged to find a book that addresses the issues you are looking for, but the closest thing I've seen is Penny Whimsey by Sheldon (but understand that newer references are more accurate and better to attribute from, IMHO)....Mike

Winston,

I agree with Mike, I don't think you will find a book that will satisfy your needs. I think you will have to go to various magazine articles and books and pick out what you are looking for.

The following Coinworld article covers copper color pretty well.

Coinworld

and the following book by Jim Halperin has a chapter that delves into grading copper coins in mint state and proof state conditions. The book all together is very insightful especially to Morgan Dollars but does touch on other coins(copper).

Grading U.S. Coins

I think you may find what you need with a little research but it will be piecemeal until you gather all you need. Books like Penny Whimsy only cover a select species of copper for about 24 years or so and you should be able to gather some info for your needs. Of course Richard Snow's books can help attribute IHC's especially proof/business strike coinage.

Good Luck

Come to think of it, I would also seek out old copies of the EAC journal -- Penny-Wise.

All that said and to coin a fishing maxim, there is no substitue for time spent on the water looking at coins on the bourse...Mike

The information you want is best obtained in person speaking with someone more knowledgable in the niche and looking at coins together.