• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1982 Denver Mint Pennies

4 posts in this topic

I've just found this Web Site - Don't know if you folks can help, but suspect someone out there has an answer for me.

I have just inherited my father's coins - he was a Numismatist. He had / I have, several bags of pennies, sealed by the Denver Mint, in 1982.

From what I'm seeing, the pennies changed mid-year? from copper to zinc. What date should be on the bags, to indicate which (copper or zinc) that I have?

Any help would be appreciated.

I've just found this Web Site - Don't know if you folks can help, but suspect someone out there has an answer for me.

I have just inherited my father's coins - he was a Numismatist. He had / I have, several bags of pennies, sealed by the Denver Mint, in 1982.

From what I'm seeing, the pennies changed mid-year? from copper to zinc. What date should be on the bags, to indicate which (copper or zinc) that I have?

Any help would be appreciated.

Well, if the coins weigh 2.5 grams each they're zinc, if they're 3.1 grams each then they're copper. That's about all I know.

If all the same then all you have to do is weigh one or maybe a few to make sure. Naturally most people do not have a scale for weights in tenths or hundredths of a gram so try this.

Take a popsicle stick and a standard 6 sided pencil. Place the pencil on a hard, flat service. Balance the stick on the pencil and when you find the balance point, put a drop of glue at that location. You now have a cheap balance scale. Next take any new cent minted after 1982 and place on the farthest edge of the stick. Then place one of your 1982 cents at the farthest edge of the other side. If the stick stays basically balanced, your cents are the Zinc ones with the copper coating.

You could do this in reverse also. Place a cent dated prior to 1982 at the far edge and your 1982 at the other. The pre 82 cent is heavier since it is Copper so your coin will not allow the stick to rise from the heavier side.

Next you will want to know if yours are large dates or small dates. For a great photo of the difference go to www.coppercoins.com

Note if yours are the Copper ones, there is no small date. If yours are the Copper ones, you have the least valuable ones of all 7 types.

And like I said in the other thread, since the bags are still mint sealed, just weigh the whole bag. Copper weighs 34 pounds, zinc eighs 28 pounds.