• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on this 1860-O Seated Liberty Dollar...

11 posts in this topic

Greysheet VF20 is $260 and EF40 is $315. I think the coin was previously cleaned and then retoned over a long period of time in an album.

I wish I can find a coin that is priced at gray sheet bid (slab coins) or even come close to that price. Your coin is beautiful Leo unlike most of mine that are just shine.

John

As the consensus seems to be, I also think it has been cleaned. It is not unattractive, however, which is not really the same thing as saying it is attractive. I probably wouldn't buy it, but I wouldn't immediately rule it out, either.

While acknowledging other's comments relative to its originality, as far as seated dollars are concerned, this example is well above average. Also, I would price/grade the coin closer to VF than XF...Mike

I agree with the others as to being VF. Very nice outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed I can't contribute to the cleaning issue tho'. Looks good!

How could any one not like large silver coins, eh?? :cloud9:

And nice circulated SLD’s like this one are very likeable. Even wear without much in the way of big nicks, (which are seen more on the large dollars than the smaller SL coins in circulated grades) and I like how the toning highlights the coins design, nice for type sets.

This coin is a real tweener, a better looking VF, but not an XF, I’d want to see a little detail in the hair by her face and the shield cleaned up a bit to call an XF. But it could also be said that being a branch mint the strike may be a little weak, eh? hm

The toning looks to me to have happened in at least two different stages, I’m guessing by the looks of this dollar it had a toning similar to the TD pictured below, (usually viewed as retoned after cleaning, I don’t really know, that’s another discussion.) when it was then put into an album and picked up the more colorful tones around the rims.

1878-TD.jpg