• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any one know anything about this coin Jar ?

13 posts in this topic

Hi all

could anyone tell me anything about this glass jar which shows american coins on it (shrug)

71da_1.jpg73da_0.jpg

72ef_1.jpg

74dc_1.jpg

thanks (thumbs u

It looks like there is a date above the eagle in the lower photo, but I can't make it out. It could be the date the company was founded. The fact that they have used a symbol similar to the Great Seal may also indicate that it was founded in the USofA.

Chris

Dooley,

Quit pulling our leg, you know darn well that that is the type of container the UK tried to use back in 1886 to certify and slab coins which did not work and became obsolete because it was too easy to crack out the coins.

Rey

It looks like a pressed glass candy dish, commonly caled "Vaseline Glass" that was made by a variety of makers, both during the victorian times and also reproduced in modern times.

Hard to say when, but the date 1886 fits the time frame. This could also be political in nature, Senate elections are held on even years, maybe someone can pin point better.

~laughing at Rey~

It definitely isn't vaseline glass. Most vaseline glass is yellow-green and it has a very minute quantity of radioactive particles in it. It will glow under black light.

Chris

It is called a Coin decanter ... Have not found one similar to that one yet Usually these were made by Fostoria.

Here is a similar looking design but in Frosted glass .. I like the Green Better

41923-CoinDecanter.jpg.cbe3cd4aedf615fa61827955737d92e0.jpg