• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1922 Peace Dollar Non CC GSA soft pack

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

This is my first post. I just bought a 1922 Peace Dollar in a GSA soft pack. I am trying to decide whether I should submit it to NGC for grading or whether I am better off leaving it as is.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have!

Chris

Chris,

First of all welcome to the boards here.

On the US Coin Forum listing a few posts down from this one is a discussion regarding these, showing what it would look like etc.

You would have to weight the cost of submitting for grading against the value of the coin you have. I would say that with the 1922, unless it is a tremdous coin, I would leave as is.

Rey

Thanks Rey,

I know that the 1922 is the common date in the series; however, my thought was that because it is part of the GSA Hoard that might increase the coins value. I would say the coin will probably grade as an MS-63 maybe a MS-64.

My other thought was that having it graded would offer the coin additional protection because of the slab. I cannot tell if that is really the case with the NGC plastic holder or if it is even necessary.

Finally, I wondered if other collectors prefer them "raw" or if they prefer them graded.

Thanks for the welcome and the response! If I could just make up my own mind that would solve my problem :D

Chris

It may have some extra vaue from being part of the GSA hoard BUT ONLY IF IT STAYS IN THE GOVERNMENT HOLDER! For that reason if you were to have it slabbed you MUST have it done at NGC because they are the only ones who will holder it still in the government holder.

It may have some extra vaue from being part of the GSA hoard BUT ONLY IF IT STAYS IN THE GOVERNMENT HOLDER! For that reason if you were to have it slabbed you MUST have it done at NGC because they are the only ones who will holder it still in the government holder.

I agree 110% The extra value is in the holder!