• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANACS Underrated?

21 posts in this topic

Here are the crossover results of 10 Indian cents from ANACS to NGC.

1859 anacs 63 no designation NGC 63 mint error obv misaligned die

1864 anacs 65 RB NGC 65 RB

1866 anacs 63 RB NGC 64 RB

1870 anacs 64 RB proof NGC 64 RB proof

1871 anacs 63 RB NGC 63 RB

1874 anacs 64 RB NGC 64 RB

1876 anacs 63 RB NGC 63 RB

1877 anacs 4 NGC 4

1868 anacs 64 RB NGC DNC wipe at date, spots

1884 anacs 65 RB NGC DNC light obv scratches

The 1868 has 3 small spots and the scratches on the 1884 look more like breaks in the toning. I dont see any disturbance in the metal with a 10x loupe.

Overall I am very pleased with the results. I even got an upgrade and an error designation.

I think there is a lot of value in ANACS slabs if you just look around. Does anyone have similiar experiences with ANACS?

It seems that sometimes ANACS is really tight, and this produces lots of undergraded coins. But then, sometimes they are too forgiving on marginal and problem coins, and damaged coins get into problems free holders and overgraded coins emerge. They arent consistent; that's their problem. There are a lot of great coins in there slabs though!

One of many examples:

I have an 1818 Capped Bust quarter that I sent to ANACS and got a VG-10 on. This grade was way off (in fact 60% of the coins on that invoice upgraded later on at NGC). I sent it to NGC just last month and it came back last week as F-15! There is quite a difference between those two grades, and the coins true grade is a F-15. If I were to have sold this coin as VG10, there would have been a great deal on the market!

Congrats on all the crossovers Chinook, your own grading skills are being underrated here too.

I've come to appreciate ANACS for their IH cent grading and up-to-date attribution. And I like that they put Snow #s on their slabs -- every IH collector I know uses the "S-" #s like second nature.

Many of the nicer ANACS IH's have probably crossed like yours just did, but most of the varieties seem to stay in their holders. I enjoyed the fact that there were more ANACS than PCGS slabs in the recent Larry Steve FE/IH variety sale by ANR. Score one for the little holder!

I've been saying all along that ANACS coins are underrated. Their marketing/advertising leaves something to be desired but their grading/authentication is actually quite good. One problem for ANACS is that the larger dealers who cater to the upper income crowd stress that their clients should only own PCGS or NGC coins. A collector like myself, with over 40 years experience, has learned to ignore all the self-serving dealer propaganda. I buy the coin and not the holder and I have many ANACS coins in my collection. I consider many of them to be PQ for the grade.

Why are you bothering to cross your ANACS coins? If you intend to hold them for any length of time you may find they are more desirable than what you are crossing into. I am detecting much greater market acceptance for ANACS coins. The dealers at shows don't bad mouth them nearly as much as in the past.

Keep in mind that I don't collect Morgan Dollars. I don't know how their grading is of that very popular series. The grading of that series can affect overall impressions more than it should.

My only problem with ANACS is how quick they are to net grade for minor problems. Problems which, in many cases, would not preclude slabbing by the "big two". Add the lower resale value to that and using them becomes a little difficult to justify. Except maybe for obvious problem coins. I suppose if you're not planning on selling, it doesn't matter as much. That's the main reason I have coins slabbed, however. My personal collection is mostly raw.

I like anacs!

Submissions..............They are fast and on time and their economy doesn't seem to be as slow as "others". They run specials from time to time usually coinciding with large shows!

Customer Service.........THEY know the meaning of this term and have great CS from my experiences with them!!!!!!! I live an hour from them and will occasionally drop by with a box of stuff and get free opinions. And of course the free opinions at shows.

Grading..........I don't think I've ever seen an ANACS "70" coin Ever! Are there any??(I personally don't think there is such a thing) I think that Anacs does just fine on ciculated stuff up to MS65. I hear that they are EXTREMELY tough on old copper! They (IMO) are the best Handsdown on varieties and errors and attributing them.

Downside......I personally cannot stand their "net" grading practice. They are essentially assigning a value to a coin instead of letting the coin find it's own value. I would NEVER submit a problem coin to them. I would use NCS any day over them. I also don't care for the tiny holder and their tendency to "net" grade stuff that would easily make it into the other 2's slabs.

I collect key dates. I have many of them in Anacs slabs and feel that they are all nice for the assigned grades!

just my 3c

On average, I have had a hard time getting ANACS coins above MS65 into NGC/PCGS slabs. Washington Quarters are a good example. I have some very nice Washingtons that ANACS graded MS67, and I strongly agree with. I tried to cross them to NGC (so I could get more than $30 for them) but they didn't cross. Eventually, I cracked them and sent them in, and they graded MS66 and MS65. NGC is more demanding on certain aspects than ANACS is in this range. For instance, a coin with darker toning (but all luster still comes through) might grade MS67 at ANACS and MS65 at NGC because of the mere darker color of the toning. PCGS on average would probable call such a coin MS66. I have noticed that PCGS isn't as hard on dark colors. (For instance, darker speckled mint set Franklins grade lower at NGC than at PCGS on average, due to the eye apeal.

This is a very subtle issue that is probably hard to understand without seeing the coin/coins I am talking about and having hands on experience. But, what I am saying is, ANACS grades differently on the higher grade coins (MS66+), but that's not to say they are always wrong! You have to know what you are doing and how to grade for yourself if you are going to put big money on an ANACS-67. I imagine it is dealers' bad experieces with this that leads them to say only buy PCGS/NGC. But if you really know what you are doing, then slab company doesn't matter, and ANACS can be a good deal.

But I still think that coin I talked about above is a 67 sumo.gif

ANACS does great with many coins but especially Jefferson nickels. They are accurate and consistent and they are better at understanding the subtle differences in the step counts year to year. For example, from the years 1960 to 1970 the division between the steps 4 and 5 became quite weak. A full step coin in those years has a less defined appearance than in years previous. This was due to the master hub and subsequent die manufacture. ANACS gets this and pays closer attention to the steps on these coins than, say, PCGS. They also attribute full steps with 5, 5.5, and 6 steps, a feature that is truer to what collectors of FS Jeffs consider.

Hoot

I agree with most of the posters, especially on net grading. About a year ago, ANACS began to conservatively grade mint state classic coinage. I managed to scoop up a few deals of commems. All the coins upgraded to NGC and PCGS. 893whatthe.gif And these were fairly expensive coins. Now the word got out among crackout guys to be on the lookout for ANACS mint state classics, so quite a few were quickly and quietly bought up. Now when I attend major shows, freshly graded ANACS coins are actively sought out. My 2c.

TRUTH

Chinook

You may have done some excellent cherrypicking, my friend, because my own crossover success to NGC has not been as good. In fact, I have had a few bodybags.

The biggest problem that ANACS has is that any time a good coin is in their holder, the first thing we all want to do is get it in one by NCG/PCGS, so that it is more marketable and "worth more". This is both because of the perception of grading differences and the fact that their slabs are a different dimension than others.

So long as the perception of value is less, they will have a problem. And the only way to change perception is a hugely expensive marketing and P/R campaign, which I doubt they can afford. I think the critical mass for coin grading firms is exactly 2.

As Chippewa stated, cherry-picking may be the key. I have found some great coins in ANACS holders, although I haven't tried to cross them. However, they do provide a rather good service in that I do trust their opinions regarding authentication and this service is less expensive than the other BIG 2. Same goes for ICG. If I were only concerned about the authenticity of a coin I may opt to send it to ANACS or ICG for this service and the added protection that the holder provides.

As Chippewa stated, cherry-picking may be the key.

I agree. I recently bought an MS64 ANACS graded Washington that I will be sending to NGC. The coin is a shot MS67 in my opinion. shocked.gif I don't think I have ever seen such an undergraded coin in my life, and I feel lucky that I bought it. I'll keep everyone posted as to what NGC says about it.

I sent 3 in at long beach.1 Crossed 2 didn't.

Morgans 893whatthe.gif

You know what just came to mind is that the Morgan that did cross was an unmarked VAM.

An 1886 top 100 vam 17ddr arrows.

I remember being surprised at it not being noted on the ANACS slab.

It's getting slabs like this back that ticks me off. Coin obviously has unc details; the veins on the leaves are well defined and no rub on the wreath. Not a hint of corrosion, no pitting anywhere. Someone used a small brush to remove toning around part of the lettering, most noticeable on DECIMOS. Very common problem on these coins. Should be NET AU58 CLEANED.

corr1.jpg

In fact, it looks virtually identical to this PCGS AU58 and the light cleaning isn't even mentioned.

corr2.jpg

Which do you think will sell for more? If they were both raw (and the same variety) I'd pay more for the ANACS coin, actually. Luckily, they're both part of my personal collection, so resale value isn't an issue this time.

I have done ok crossing cherrypicked ANACS coins, but have seen a lot of overgraded coins in ANACS holders (particularly Peace Dollars). Mostly, I buy coins for my Registry Sets now and have to cross ANACS to NGC, which is a bother.

I'd grade this one unc details net AU58 for light cleaning too. But they decided to give it an MS60, go figure. All three coins are virtually identical in terms of condition. ANACS is just way too inconsistent for me.

259993-1886ms60.jpg

259993-1886ms60.jpg.250bb0f634ec897ef076852585d232df.jpg