• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I wonder if these coins would "sticker."

9 posts in this topic

Yes, different dates. One notoriously weakly struck year. Still and all, whaddya think? Different services and ...s l i g h t l y.... different grades of AU.

Just from images. If the coins appear as pictured.

???????

comparecm4.jpg

I would not worry about it or waste my money on CAC. What is important is how does this fit into your own collection / investment goals and preferences as to eye appeal - darkly toned well struck vs virtually untoned average strike (these are two different years so this may not be that good of a comparison)? I take it one of these coins is PCGS and the other NGC?

I myself have no interest in making an investment in this kind of big ticket, circulated material. To sell these coins, you need a really well heeled buyer who is either looking for a nice type piece or putting together a set.

Certainly the 1805 has much better detail (above average strike) than the other but I am not too keen on its dark toning. The 1807 seems clean with nice color but appears at best to be average to below average struck. I would need to examine both these coins in person to evaluate grade and value.

One question is whether they will be worth more with a sticker. We know the same coin can be worth significantly more or less depending on what kind of plastic it's in. It's quite possible the same coin can be worth significantly more or less depending on whether or not it has a sticker. If the coin won't sell for more with a sticker then getting one can be considered a financial waste; if it will, it may be financially lucrative to get one.

But would stickered coins be recognized by the Greysheet and given a premium?

I don't see how this would happen any more than the three stooges would have qualified for the Apollo program.

Since the greysheet is for properly graded coins, whether certified or raw, I don't see a premium for stickered coins here. Consequently, your financial gain by having your coins stickered is zero.