• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Winged Liberty Head >>> Mercury Dime...how to change a name.

10 posts in this topic

When Rey (rbrown4) posted his 1916 Merc Dime the other day, it had been awhile since anything historically related to that series had been posted, so here goes. Please feel free to add your knowledge or make corrections as needed. This dime series from 1916-1945 has a lot of history along with many collectors.

The Mercury dime is actually popularly misnamed. The likeness on its obverse is not that of Mercury (a male Greek/Roman God) but is Lady Liberty, the same mythological figure who had graced dimes since their introduction in 1776. Confusion soon resulted from the attachment of small wings to Miss Liberties headdress, which to students and scholars of Greek and Roman folklore could only represent Mercury, the quick messenger whom the mythological Gods equipped with wings to better execute his duties.

1939merc.gif

During the time of the Roman Republic, starting around the 3rd century BC, Mercury had essentially the same aspects as Hermes, wearing winged shoes talaria and a winged petasos, (hat) and carrying the caduceus, a herald's staff with two entwined snakes that was Apollo's gift to Hermes. He was often accompanied by a cockerel, herald of the new day, a ram or goat, symbolizing fertility, and a tortoise, referring to Mercury's legendary invention of the lyre from a tortoise shell.

Mercurypic.jpg

Mercury

To give Liberty wings was a bit of poetic license by Adolph Wienman, his intended meaning was to be "liberty of thought" but so vague was this concept that its purpose remained unserved. The design of the Mercury dime is that of a “Winged Liberty” and is based on a bust that Weinman did in 1913 of Elsie Kachel Stevens, wife of well-known poet Wallace Stevens, who happened to be tenants of a New York City apartment building owned by Weinman. The winged cap was to symbolize freedom of thought. The reverse of the coin depicts the fasces, an ancient symbol of authority, with a battle-ax at the top to represent preparedness and an olive branch beside it to signify love and peace and authority.

ElsieKachelStevens.gif

Elsie Kachel Stevens

On the reverse was an object that caused only slightly less confusion, a verticle column of some kind that only the most astute observers in 1916 could identify. This was the designed as a bundle of fasces or sticks with an axe protruding from within the bundle. Their meaning was was supposedly symbolic in nature but they could alsso be used in a practicle function by illuminating the path through burning.

1939mercrev.gif

"The Fasces was adopted from the Etruscans. For 500 years BC, it symbolized the power of life or death that a Roman Magistrate had over the Roman citizen; who could be scourged by the birch rods, representing physical punishment for transgressions; or be beheaded by the axe for serious crimes."

lictorscarryfasces.jpg

lictors carring fasces

The Fasces was a cylindrical bundle of elm or birch rods bound together by red bands, from which an ax head projected; and which was borne by Lictors (attendants and body guards) before a Consul or high Magistrate, as a symbol of their authority.

The lowering of the Fasces was form of salute to a higher official. It was also an emblem of unity and power; being used as an icon on coins and "coats of arms" long after the times of Ancient Rome.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Benito Mussolini's Italian "Fascist"Party of the 1930's, derived its name from the Fasces, which it had adopted as an emblem in 1919. The symbol of fascism, in its original Italian incarnation under Benito Mussolini, and which gave fascism its name, was the fasces. This is an ancient Roman symbol of power carried by lictors in front of magistrates: a bundle of sticks, which included an axe indicating the power over life and death.

flags.jpg

Until the adaptation of the fasces by the Italian fascists it had in modern times been a symbol used by Italian left-wing groups called Fascio as a symbol of strength through unity. However, the adoption of the fasces by the Italian fascists has not completly tainted the symbol by association and the symbol appears on, among other things, the seal of the United States Senate, the coat of arms of France and the wall of the debating chamber of the United States House of Representatives.

SenateSeal.jpg

Senate Seal

Francecoatofarms.png

France Coat of Arms

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Excellent and informative post!

The likeness on its obverse is not that of Mercury (a male Greek/Roman God) but is Lady Liberty
I'd just add that the obverse isn't necessarily Lady Liberty but it was intended to be Lady Liberty. The end result, however unintentional, may actually be closer to Mercury. Lady Liberty is generally not depicted with wings on her Phrygian cap so adding them may change the figure from Lady Liberty to Mercury as described in your post. This is similar to how the Saint was intended to depict Nike / Victory, but removing her wings essentially turned her into Lady Liberty, not a Wingless Nike which was probably the intent. Sometimes it's just too hard to fight millennia-old symbolism.

The other thing is that a number of classic coin depictions intended to be Lady Liberty are somewhat androgynous. I grew up thinking the Barber obverse was a man and still think the obverse looks like a man now that I know the intention was different. How men look has changed somewhat over the last century, but it seems that there was even some confusion back when the Mercury dime was first issued.

I also agree that this is a great post with very informative historical explanations. The history and symbolism of the Fasces has always fascinated me. I wonder how many people actually know what the reverse really does depict?

It has always been my understanding that sculptor Adolph A. Weinman produced the new design in 1916 and actually called it "the Liberty Head type". The Phrygian cap with wings, symbolizee "liberty of thought" and his design included the word "LIBERTY" encircling her head. It was not until after the dime began circulating, that many began calling it the Mercury dime due to the wings on the cap.

I do agree that there are several classic coins with what is considered Lady Liberty but upon first examination especially with the general public, they do not realize this. A good example I think of this is the Eagle Type Gold pieces beginning in 1907 designed by St. Gaudens. The "Indian Head" Eagles are Lady Liberty in a Indian War Bonnet.

Rey

It has always been my understanding that sculptor Adolph A. Weinman produced the new design in 1916 and actually called it "the Liberty Head type". The Phrygian cap with wings, symbolizee "liberty of thought" and his design included the word "LIBERTY" encircling her head. It was not until after the dime began circulating, that many began calling it the Mercury dime due to the wings on the cap.
I agree Weinman's intention was for the figure to be Lady Liberty. However, my point is that what you intend and what you produce can be different things, especially if you are breaking a 2000 year old tradition. IMO, the head is also androgynous so I don't think it's out of place to consider it to be male figure. It seems reasonable for people to consider this to be Mercury even after the second, third and fourth examinations.
I do agree that there are several classic coins with what is considered Lady Liberty but upon first examination especially with the general public, they do not realize this. A good example I think of this is the Eagle Type Gold pieces beginning in 1907 designed by St. Gaudens. The "Indian Head" Eagles are Lady Liberty in a Indian War Bonnet.
I think it is easier to tell the Indian Head eagles and IHCs are supposed to be female figures than say the dime and Barber coins. For the IHEs and IHCs, however, it may be easier to just call them "Indian Heads" as opposed to "Indian War Bonnet Liberty Heads."

I have read more than once that the overall design of this coin is believed by many to be one of the most admired. One thing I have noticed on these dimes more so than on other coins of this era, is what I perceive as the frequent occurrence of cuds, die breaks, die defects, etc. whereas at the same time the coins can also have some beautiful flow lines and radiant fields. Here are two examples, any thoughts on why?

1936 D with some minimal nice toning but with numerous raised obtrusions on the obverse.

1936DLibertyHeadObv3.jpg

And a 1944 S with a the same type of elevated area just above the bottom rim my the date as well as whatever is going on with the nose which appeaars to have a recessed area at the top of the bridge of the nose.

1944SLibertyHeadObv.jpg

Any comments on these two?

Re: Liberty on the Dime.

The figure of Victory in Weinman’s 1909 Union Soldiers and Sailor’s Memorial in Baltimore resembles the Liberty bust on the dime more than does Elsie Stevens, and the memorial figure also wears a “Liberty cap.” Elsie Stevens’ portrait bust has certain features in common with the dime’s image, so Miss Liberty is, at the most, a composite as were most images of Liberty, America, Columbia, etc. In 1913, Wallace Stevens was a lawyer and had not yet written the poems which would later make him famous.

Weinman added the wings to give texture and depth to the otherwise bland cap, although he also stated they symbolized liberty of ideas and thought.

[see “Renaissance of American Coinage 1916-1921” p.174 for more information.]

Got some wierd marks on the first one. Love the toning on it. I really like the looks of the 44 also. Was the nose due to mint error Rey?

Re: Liberty on the Dime.

The figure of Victory in Weinman’s 1909 Union Soldiers and Sailor’s Memorial in Baltimore resembles the Liberty bust on the dime more than does Elsie Stevens, and the memorial figure also wears a “Liberty cap.” Elsie Stevens’ portrait bust has certain features in common with the dime’s image, so Miss Liberty is, at the most, a composite as were most images of Liberty, America, Columbia, etc. In 1913, Wallace Stevens was a lawyer and had not yet written the poems which would later make him famous.

Weinman added the wings to give texture and depth to the otherwise bland cap, although he also stated they symbolized liberty of ideas and thought.

[see “Renaissance of American Coinage 1916-1921” p.174 for more information.]

Great info (thumbs u