• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1945 Peru 1/2 Sol KM220.4 vs KM220.5

11 posts in this topic

Anyone know the difference? My Krause has the same info for both, three leaves pointing to the llama and serifless narrow 4, but doesn't give a clue about the difference. If you have a 1946 to 1965 it would be cool to see a picture. Thanks.

I only collect the silver issues, sorry. Neither of the two other references I have show any varieties for that year and denomination. So have no idea what Krause is talking about.

Thanks, Crito. I'm not sure Krause knows what they are printing either...

It looks like they made them five different types based on where they were minted, but there are only two different designs shown. What's even more confusing is that 220.4 & 220.5 are listed as Lima mint, but the 4 million from 1945 were actually struck in Philadelphia.

254837-peru.5s.jpg

254837-peru_5s.jpg.91d82872002236b3f1d5320d40175d58.jpg

but the 4 million from 1945 were actually struck in Philadelphia.

Caesar Fishman's book seems to agree with you, all the 1945's were produced in Philadelphia. According to him, all the 1944's were too, though two varieties are listed. 1942 and 1943 from San Fran and Phila, but not Lima either. And all 1941's from London. Only 1946-65 were minted in Lima.

I just noticed that the coin shown in the Krause is a 1948 and the design looks pretty much like this...

1942sper.5s.jpg

There's not enough detail to see if there are any differences (besides the mintmark).

So are the 220.4s just the ones with the cruder design (bottom pic above) and the 220.5s have a design closer to 220.1-220.3?

Crito, do you have any more info on the book you mentioned? I couldn't find anything on it.

The book is titled "Monedas Del Peru", by Caesar Fishman. I have the second edition published in 1979 by Numismatica LIBERTAD. Their old phone #'s (haven't tried them recently) are 28-4916 and 27-6610 Anexo 34 in Lima, Peru.

Cool. Thanks for the info, crito. I'm only collecting the US struck coins from Peru now. If I decide to go further I'll look into finding that book.