• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Railroad/Railway Related World Coins or Medals

77 posts in this topic

Thanks for the kind words. What I have realized, and should have thought of it before, is that many of the railroads were built and started in the 1800's providing for some nice older very well designed medals and commemoratives as well as 50 year commemoratives in the early 1900's and 100 year in the mid 1900's. Also looking into other countries other than US, Canada, Mexico etc. An Austrailia Proof Cameo is on it's way to me now. It's interesting and fun.

Thanks,

Rey

Very nice coin and medal Rey. I like the designs a lot and haven't seen the Argentina one before. It would be great to see those photos in a yearly progression to see how the style of locomotives changed over the years. It looks like a very fun collection!

Here is the latest addition to my Railroad Coins. 2004 Austrualian $5 Silver Proof Coin commemorating 150 years of Steam Railways in Australia. The story and history behind the Railways in Austrailia is amazing. This coin commemorates September 12 1854 when the first steam - driven locomotive left Flanders Street station in Melbourne for Sandridge (Port Melbourne). This historic event marked the beginning or their steam rail network. Mintage limited to 15,000.

Again as with most Austrailian and Canadian Coins the Cameos are tremendous.

Rey

2004Austrailia5DollarObv.jpg2004Austrailia5dollarrev.jpg

Another new addition to my Railway Series - 1994 Russian 3 Rouble Proof Coin celebrating 100 years of the Trans-Siberian Railway.

Rey

19943Rouble100YrAnnivofTransSibe-1.jpg

19943Rouble100YrAnnivofTransSiberia.jpg

I forgot that I had this. My collecting intrests are items that represent my personal history. Part of my history was daily trips on the Long Island Railroad to midtown Manhattan (I would say "the city" but that's a strictly New York reference :) ). When I found this on a famous online auction site, I had to bid... and win! It is a cool medal. It's all bronze, 63mm, and really nicely made. There is one small rim ding, but otherwise very beautiful. And it is very photogenic. Enjoy!

Scott :hi:

46392-LIRR150.jpg.78e1f27b6e332c0b909c1632b6effdcd.jpg

I would say "the city" but that's a strictly New York reference
To someone from Northern California that would mean San Francisco. ;)

Nice looking token, anyhow, even if it is a liteside item. :D

Scott,

Very nice looking piece there. I really like it.

Here is my latest non-US acquisition, a 2004 Two Pound coin representing the 150th anniversary of the Steam Engine. Nice Silver and Gold piece. In hand it is beautiful.

Rey

2004Obv.jpg

2004Rev.jpg

Hi, there.

I have these 2 coins in my collection, which I believe the opening of the China Tibet railway in 2006. I hope the photos are clear.

chinatrainrev.jpg

chinatrainobv.jpg

Also, Albania, in 1988 issued 2 coins commemorating the 42 anniversary of the railroad.

I believe the design (same on both) was some sort of award winner but can't remember for sure.

The KM numbers are #61 (5 leke) copper nickel and #62, a huge, gorgeous 50 leke piece. It contains over 5 ounces of silver. I don't own either of these but would love the KM62.

Hope this gives you a couple more things to hunt for.

All the best! RI AL (Alan)

rbrown4

Found another one. I don't own this coin but Gibralter issued a 1 pound coin in 1993 with a a railroad theme. It is on E-Bay 290177318247

RI AL

RI AL,

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it, the more I search and with the tips from members on here the more I am finding.

Much appreciated.

Rey

Another new additions to my Railway Medal Collection. I had posted as well in Tokens and Medals under US but figure it belongs here under World Coins.

27 mm struck to commemorate the marriage of Prince Albert to Queen Victoria in 1840. Stevenson's Rocket, the first steam engine, had only been invented in 1829 so this is one of the first medallic portrayals of a train !

1840MedalObv-1.jpg

1840MedalRev-1.jpg

Rey

Two more to add to the Group.

1896 Uraguay - Bronze

1901 Argentina, Innauguration of the Mercedes Line

Actually this weekend I am putting together a shadow box display with all my Railway/Railroad Medals and Coins. Will post when complete.

Rey

1896ArgentinaObv.jpg

1896ArgentinaRev2.jpg

1901UraguayInaugurationoftheMercede.jpg

1901UraguayINaugurationoftheMerc-1.jpg

nice medals rey..I feel a certain comaraderie with you since we both have huge theme based sets--you with the railroad and me with sailing ships..congrats on some great new finds..

My latest addition.

Obv: Female figure standing between coats of arms of Paris and Orleans; behind two steam locomotives.

Rev: Inscription within an oak and laurel wreath: CHEMIN DE FER DE PARIS A ORLEANS. In exergue: LOI DU 7 JUILLET 1838. Silver. 37 mm (octagonal piece). By A. Bovy.

Edge stamped: BEE with ARGENT.

Light tone. The railroad line was completed in 1843 and owned by a private company created by the law of July 1838. EF

Rey

1858ParisOrleansMedalBovyObv.jpg

1858ParisOrleansMedalBovyRev.jpg

Hi Harvey,

Thank you very much for posting those and asking. I am currently only trying to build a collection of coins and/or medals. There are many, many "railway tokens" as you have shown above, but way too many for me to get a grasp on at this time. The number of countries that have issued railway related coins is somewhat limited but still quite large. Medals on the other hand I am finding are quite extensive.

Again, thank you so much for asking.

Rey

Here is one I bought awhile back, but it took some time to come across the ocean.

Liechtenstein 20 Euro Celebrating 125 Years of Railway there. Marks are on the case.

Rey

Liechtenstein20EuroObv.jpg

Liechtenstein20EuroRev.jpg