• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lacquering coins [crosspost]

5 posts in this topic

I've been reading a few books on coin conservation/cleaning/dipping, etc. Most all of the methods have been discussed in the forum, and for that I appreciate your folks knowledge.

One method that hasn't been mentioned was applying a lacquer to coins to protect the finish and significantly reduce the exposure to air, water, etc. I've heard of using clear nail polish, but I would think the acids in the polish would be much worse than sulfur in the air.

Has anyone known this to be effective? Is this just a dated technique?

Lacquering was an old way used to try to preserve the surface of a coin, particularly of copper to retain the red color. Lacquering is the process of applying a very thin layer of clear varnish to a coin. Since it alters the surface of a coin, it is not considered a good method of preservation.

Many numismatists will not purchase lacquered coins unless there is a compelling reason, such as the coin being a key date. But a numismatist will consider the coin damaged and not want to pay "full price." Grading services will return the coin in the a body bag and not graded.

Lacquered coins can be conserved. Do it yourself methods include dipping the coin in toluene (benzine or paint thinner) to loosen the lacquer and acetone to remove the lacquer. You have to be careful when using toluene because it can damage the surface of the coin to the point that recovery will not look good. Acetone is neutral for the surface, so you can even soak the coin in the acetone for a while. When using toluene, you may consider changing the acetone often at the beginning.

I am sure NCS could conserve a lacquered coin with better results if you are not as practiced.

That being said, I would never lacquer a coin. I recommend using AirTite holders to protect coins. AirTite holders are made from inert plastic and the ring-type holders use inert materials. I also recommend buying your AirTites from JP's Corner, as a very satisfied customer.

I hope that helps.

Scott :hi:

That being said, I would never lacquer a coin. I recommend using AirTite holders to protect coins. AirTite holders are made from inert plastic and the ring-type holders use inert materials. I also recommend buying your AirTites from JP's Corner, as a very satisfied customer.

Scott, I strongly agree with the above suggestions -- AirTites are a great and relatively inexpensive way to store and protect your coins -- however the assumption concerning the inertness of their inserts is incorrect in my experience. Specifically, I believe the black inserts are not intert -- they have and will induce toning on the coins, whereas the white inserts seem to not have this problem. So I would suggest that those who are concerned about keeping their coins pristine and untoned consider the white insert or no insert at all. All of the preceeding is based upon my first hand experience and it is respectfully submitted.

Back to the topic of laquering. As others have noted, this is a technique for coin preservation used in the past, and is not an effective way to preserve coins in the long term. IIRC, LeeG posted a large cent that was laquered and his results in removing this laquer -- here's a link to the text:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=2&Number=1522661&Searchpage=1&Main=83816&Words=laquered&topic=0&Search=true#Post1522661

Hope this helps...Mike