• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lacquering coins

12 posts in this topic

I've been reading a few books on coin conservation/cleaning/dipping, etc. Most all of the methods have been discussed in the forum, and for that I appreciate your folks knowledge.

One method that hasn't been mentioned was applying a lacquer to coins to protect the finish and significantly reduce the exposure to air, water, etc. I've heard of using clear nail polish, but I would think the acids in the polish would be much worse than sulfur in the air.

Has anyone known this to be effective? What's the good lacquers to use for this purpose.

Lacquering was an old way used to try to preserve the surface of a coin, particularly of copper to retain the red color. Lacquering is the process of applying a very thin layer of clear varnish to a coin. Since it alters the surface of a coin, it is not considered a good method of preservation.

Many numismatists will not purchase lacquered coins unless there is a compelling reason, such as the coin being a key date. But a numismatist will consider the coin damaged and not want to pay "full price." Grading services will return the coin in the a body bag and not graded.

Lacquered coins can be conserved. Do it yourself methods include dipping the coin in toluene (benzine or paint thinner) to loosen the lacquer and acetone to remove the lacquer. You have to be careful when using toluene because it can damage the surface of the coin to the point that recovery will not look good. Acetone is neutral for the surface, so you can even soak the coin in the acetone for a while. When using toluene, you may consider changing the acetone often at the beginning.

I am sure NCS could conserve a lacquered coin with better results if you are not as practiced.

That being said, I would never lacquer a coin. I recommend using AirTite holders to protect coins. AirTite holders are made from inert plastic and the ring-type holders use inert materials. I also recommend buying your AirTites from JP's Corner, as a very satisfied customer.

I hope that helps.

Scott :hi:

Personally I don't see a problem with lacquering a coin to protect it. Since the lacquer does not react with the metal and can usually be easily and completely removed without harming the coin I don't see it as damaging. The problem is to apply the lacquer in a thin even coat. A thick coat is unsightly and can over time develop cracks and flaked areas resulting in uneven toning.

This would explain some of the coins I've seen when going through wheats. Still not sure what the crayola-red coloring on some is about, but that's for another thread. Personally, I don't think I'd lacquer a coin, it just doesn't sit right with me for some reason.

Scott's comment about AirTites brings up a question I've had. I've heard a couple of different minds on them. Most have no problem with them, but I've heard that the black ring cores can cause toning in silver (read:morgans), is this the case or was it a case of one random person having a bad experience?

Scott's comment about AirTites brings up a question I've had. I've heard a couple of different minds on them. Most have no problem with them, but I've heard that the black ring cores can cause toning in silver (read:morgans), is this the case or was it a case of one random person having a bad experience?

I contacted the AirTite folks and asked about this. I was told that they have had no complaints brought to them about the effect of the black rings. There is evidence that coins stored in older albums will tone, but they blame that on the acid from the paper being on the coin and toning in the AirTite with the trapped air. They said that this could happen with any ring or even in the ringless AirTites.

Of course this is the opinion from the AirTite folks... YMMV!

I contacted the AirTite folks and asked about this. I was told that they have had no complaints brought to them about the effect of the black rings. There is evidence that coins stored in older albums will tone, but they blame that on the acid from the paper being on the coin and toning in the AirTite with the trapped air. They said that this could happen with any ring or even in the ringless AirTites.

Of course this is the opinion from the AirTite folks... YMMV!

Thanks for the response, Scott. Given that they're the ones selling them as safe, it's not overly surprising to hear them say that, but the very few coins I have in black ring holders are relatively low-value. I think I'll pull all but one and see what happens.

Oops... I made a mistake. After looking at my notes, their experience was with active PVC, not acid from paper. But in either case, I am not changing my coins!

I think I would back airtite on this since I have seen very little evidence of coins changing in them even in older collections. Their predecessor kointain (still around btw) works on the same process albeit with soft plastic (seems fairly pvc free have seen 20+ year old collections in them) and have only seen some very light toning. I've never had a client come in and show me even one coin thats really toned above what I would consider mild and those are 1/1000 cases.

HEY ITS ALL BETTER THAN HARCO!!!!!!!!!!!

And BTW I think that lacquering is the main reason that there are actually some 18th - early 19th century copper coins around in decent condition. Between lacquer and light machine oil thats pretty much all they had that would work on a long term basis to keep the copper from corroding. Not that I am advocating it, but I dont think it is a terrible or bad thing to do.

If you do it PLEASE, PLEASE leave detailed written instructions with your coin collection of a trusted professional numismatist that should remove the lacquer or at least a quick how to for them to do it. I know a lot of dealers would severely downgrade such a set when buying it and then laugh about the thousands they made by soaking the coins overnite in acetone. I discount slightly for my time involved when buying such a collection but 5% compared with 50-80% seems reasonable. Im probably still high but on occasion the lacquer can hide a few things especially if its old yellow and crazed.

but on occasion the lacquer can hide a few things especially if its old yellow and crazed.

If lacquer is yellow and crazed it should probably be removed. The cracks in the lacquer let in air and moisture and can result in the coin toning along the cracks so that the cracking pattern is still there after the lacquer is removed. It's better to remove the lacquer and either leave it alone, or apply a fresh coating.