• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there anything wrong with these two coins?

5 posts in this topic

On the half it looks like someone had took a knife and carved around the letters and the eagle. In the dime the leaf is flat with not details at all. Are these damaged coins or were they struck like this. thank you

John DSCN0452.jpg[/img] DSCN0460.jpg[/img]

The half was struck by a reverse die that is deteriorating rapidly. The area you noticed is where some of the die has actually crumbled away, and in a later die-state, would almost certainly result in a massive cud. The dime was likely struck through a blob of grease or some other foreign matter that filled the die.

I like the half!

The half looks like it could go VF20. I like it too...it looks like original surfaces. The Barber Dime appears to be struck through but it also might have been dipped??? Tough to say from those pics...L

Thank you James and lkenefic for clairifying this for me because i thought it was damaged. Also getting the grade for the half was very helpful.

John