• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Daughters' newp... and a special thanks to MercP for an incredible gift

10 posts in this topic

Well... as some of you might know if you were following ant's Peace Dollar thread, my daughter is a young numismatist developing an eye for Peace Dollars. She has managed to cherry pick [with a little help] several pieces from the bulk bin at our local B&M shop. Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy have helped out on a few others. Coin collecting has been such a good hobby for her. Even though she's only seven years old, its given her more of a cerebral undertaking and its given her insights in managing her money.

This past week MercP sent her a 1921 for her collection. This came as quite a surprise to me and my daughter was absolutely beside herself. We had been to our local B&M shop the previous week and they had a 1921 that my daughter was oogling. She came crashing back to reality when she looked at the price tag. This did, however, give her a goal

Since coming onto this board, I've met some of the most generous people and most willing to help out a young numismatist. In over thirty-five years (off and on) of coin collecting, I've never experienced this. As I continue to grow in this hobby, I will try to make a concerted effort to help out other youngsters as ant and MercP have helped out my daughter.

Anyway...here's my daughter with her collection and her newp...enjoy...

AliciaPeaceDollars_pic.jpg

AliciaPeaceDollars_1921obv.jpg

AliciaPeaceDollars_1921rev.jpg

Very cool. That is an awesome gift she received! My daughter is 14 months old, and I hope she enjoys coins, too, one day.

Thank you for your kind words. It is my pleasure to help a YN with her collecting goals. If it wasn’t for collectors who did the same for me back in the 70's I'm sure my interest may not have continued.

I also a little jealous, I have never been able to get my own daughter to spend more than five minuets looking at coins.

Good Luck to you both.

MercP

Thank you for your kind words. It is my pleasure to help a YN with her collecting goals. If it wasn’t for collectors who did the same for me back in the 70's I'm sure my interest may not have continued.

I also a little jealous, I have never been able to get my own daughter to spend more than five minuets looking at coins.

Good Luck to you both.

MercP

Thanks again...

My daughter took a bit of finessing to get turned on to the hobby... it had to be her "idea". She likes books, so she sat down with an old copy of the Red Book and looked for coins that had some special eye-appeal to her. After I explained the price of gold versus the price of silver [she was initially drawn to $20 Saints and $10 Indians] she settled on Peace Dollars. This makes alot of sense if you know my daughter...they're big and shiney and Ms Liberty has a special tiara [my daughter can be quite the princess].

On the other hand, my son seems to have little interest in coins. I took him to the shop a couple of times and at one point he seemed to like Walking Lib Halves. He actually purchased one with his own money...which he summarily lost! He's much more turned on by bike riding and cars... hm ... do I see a '69 GTO in my future???

Anyway... thanks once more and I'll keep you all aprised on the status of my daughters' collection.

Leo

Congrats, Leo. It must be a fantastic feeling to sit down and talk about the hobby with someone so young and full of questions. I envy that of you and hope you both spend many, many years doing the same.

Jim