• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Design Difference Proof or MS

5 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum Mike. You'll note that NGC denoted your coin PF67, right? PF=Proof, had it been a business strike and uncirculated they would have denoted it as MS67.

Edited to add: Now if you mean by looking at them, it is usually fairly easy except for early coinage. The fields are mirrored for proof strikes and are shiny for business strikes, also some proofs have cameos, deep cameos and ultra deep cameos.

Normally for the cameo, deep cameo, and ultra deep cameo the fields appear very dark and the devices are white. Browse around the forum and you are sure to see examples of all types of proof coins.

Is there a design difference in which I can tell them apart??

I thought I struck gold and found coal...lol

The designs are the same on Business strikes and Proofs. Difference being planchets on proofs are generally struck twice from specially prepared dies. Resulting in cleaner,higher relief on the coins. Usually coin questions such as this can eaily be answered in "Coin Lingo" . Should have pulled up the link for you. I'll try and retrieve it and post it for you. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=59&page=1

BTW Welcome to the forum. :hi: