• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Improper Storage of a Morgan

9 posts in this topic

When I was young, my favorite uncle who got me interested in silver coins(as did my grandfather) carried an uncirculated 1880 S Morgan in a tiny envelope in a little leather coin purse with a chrome snap. Every now and then he would show this to me and it kept me interested. Unfortunately, he died on my 16th birthday in 1964. Along with many other things he had promised me, my greedy aunt saw to it the will was 'lost' and no one got anything but her. More than 40 years later I received much of my 'lost inheritance' including the coin purse. Truthfully I had forgotten the coin(I can't believe that I did, but I did). Recently, for no real reason I opened this coin purse and it had 89 cents, some chiklets(his favorite treat)a pack of flight matches(5 or 6) and this small envelope. He came by this coin during WWII and had been in this container for over 60 years. I do not know for sure what the envelope did to the coin but I am sure the majority of the coloring was caused by the sulphur from the matches. I have never seen a coin with this 'pinto-like' coloring. But here it is for you to peruse. Sadly, lighting takes away the dark color which is a dark ebony, leaving the tan color as is. I thought you might enjoy this little story of the most improper way to store a Morgan.

1980Simproperstorage.jpg

That was interesting Jim. That is a very strange color that this Morgan turned out. Have you magnified it to see if this might actually be part of the envelope on it? Maybe a very thin layer of it embedded into the coin? Thanks for sharing. Glad ya finally got it anyway.

Not to scale back the History and familial link to this coin, as I am sure it is as precious as some of my early years coins, BUT this looks to be a cleaned and retoned coin.

I would like to see a closer look of the breast feathers though as they look unusually distinct for an "O" mint coin.

Congrats on its finding its rightful home.

thanks for this post, and the story. I like this post. It's really important to see photos of different kinds of toning, damage or otherwise, with a history about how it got that way. Glad you finally got the coin...and the chiclets!