• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • entries
  • comments
  • views


Wissahickon Collection


A Review of the Year: purchases, sales, and goals.

*Top 15 Most Wanted List:

As in 2006, I was able to acquire only 3 coins on the list; however, in 2007, they were higher ranking coins (#1-2-4).

The other difference is that I purchased #1 twice! I found the final coin needed to complete my Barber Quarter set (1900-S, MS-62) in January, and was lucky enough to spot a nice upgrade (MS-64) in October.

I noticed a continuation of quality issues throughout the year. I rejected over 60% of coins that I considered for purchase.

*Total purchases for the year were in the following catagories:

-Seated H-Dimes- 18.2%

-Buffalo Nickels- 15.6% (Mostly upgrades)

-Barber Quarters- 7.8% (Mostly upgrades)

-W.L. Halves- 7.8% (Mostly upgrades)

-Peace Dollars- 7.8%

-Morgan Dollars- 7.8% (Mostly upgrades)

-Seated Dimes- 6.5%

-Half Cents- 5.2%

*Primary areas of collecting interest:

1-Seated H-Dimes

2-Barber Quarters

3-Buffalo Nickels

4-Seated Dimes

5-Half Cents

So, 53.3% of my purchases were within my areas of greatest interest. A large portion of the other 46.7% of my purchases were "targets of opportunity"- nice coins at the right price. Imagine what my acquisitions might have been if I didn't have my list of 15 to give me some guidance!

*Sales and Trades:

I sold my last large grouping of coins, this year. I eliminated most of my remaining Mercury Dimes and Washington Quarters, except for the few keys and semi-keys listed in my registry set; plus a few proof coins. My Franklin Halves have dwindled to one proof and 2 MS coins.

The remaining sales consisted of duplicates and upgraded coins from a number of other series (with the exception of multiple key dates).

This is all a part of my on-going goal and effort to sculpt my "IDEAL" collection. i feel that I'm getting closer, but the target continues to move. As always, THE CHALLENGE IS FUN!!!

Happy collecting and good health to all, in 2008!



Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now