• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lincoln die crack evaluation

6 posts in this topic

I have never owned a lincoln cent with a die crack. Are they of any particular value above the normal coin value. Please take a look at this coin and tell me what you think. The die crack is not a major die crack by any means but is visible with the naked eye with coin in hand as this is how I noticed it. It is about 1/2 inch above the stand of the 'E' and runs downward and then over to the rim. I figure to put it in my Dansco as is unless it holds additional value. Thanks.

1940Sobvdiecrack.jpg

1940Sobvdiecrackcloseup.jpg

Photos could be a little brighter. All error coins are worth something. Mostly the value is in the popularity. Die cracks are just not that popular yet. However, they do sell for a few dollars.

Hey Jim,

There is not a lot of collector interest in die cracks in the Lincoln series as has been stated. Cracked skulls and cracks along the bustline (crossing VDB) are VERY common. Years ago there were BIE collectors as well as cracked skull collectors, but this never really caught on. I still keep nice BIE (and other related lettered cracks) aside and probably have well over a THOUSAND, so these are not scarce. That said- die cracks ARE NOT very common on other areas of the Lincoln cent. Your crack is not in a usual area. As for a value---maybe a couple bucks to a variety collector.

This one is the most interesting die crack across LIBERTY I have seen-also an uncommon crack and I will show a really unusual IIB error-this one is ubber cool to a variety geek like myself.

Linccrk-1.jpg

IIBerror.jpg

Yes, it is but oddly enough you can barely see it with the naked eye. It looks like it is stronger than the other but is not.