• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Enough CAC... how about coin finds!

7 posts in this topic

Earlier this afternoon, I went down to the company cafeteria for lunch. When the cashier handed over my change, I noticed something strange... all the cents were wheat backs! I made her go through the draw and pull out all of the wheaties... 38 of them! She opened the next roll and there were 50 more. The third roll did not have any wheat cents, so 88-cents later, I had taken all of her wheat cents.

Over lunch, I did a quick check on the dates. 43 were from the 1950s, 38 from the 1940s, 6 from the 1930s and one Canadian cent (1958). Most were Philadelphia minted although there were more Denver minted coins amongst the mint marks.

There doesn't seem to be anything special. Just common wheat cents in Good-to-Fine condition. According to Coinflation.com, these coins are worth $2.15 in melt value.

A little numismatic pleasure during lunch! :banana:

Scott :hi:

That is great to hear. A few years back my brother and I bought some wheats off of ebay. After we were done searching we took out about 200 common ones and returned them into circulation so that some one else could enjoy them. It is great to hear that other people do the same I feel it is a great little thing to do for collecting in general. You never know when some young kid might get one and begin collecting.

I've done that return old coins to circulation many times. Never an entire roll, but lots of loose change. I put all the old coins I don't like or can't use at all into a jar and eventually take it to the bank. Stuff like Buffalo Nickels with no dates, Wheat cents very worn, scratched or dented coins also. Always wonder what happens to them.

That is great to hear. A few years back my brother and I bought some wheats off of ebay. After we were done searching we took out about 200 common ones and returned them into circulation so that some one else could enjoy them. It is great to hear that other people do the same I feel it is a great little thing to do for collecting in general. You never know when some young kid might get one and begin collecting.

I did the exact same thing. I've put a couple of buffaloes out there, also.

Very intresting

I am thinking of giving a friend of mine son all the proof 1971 coins i have taken out of the sets i have opened (which have not made the grade) to spend when he go's to the USA for his holidays.. will shops take them ?