• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cannot find this coin in Krause ?

6 posts in this topic

Hi all found this french coin in a job lot of coins i won at my local auction room last week

i have searched through Krause with no sucksess any one out there any ideas ?

1921.jpg

1921r.jpg

thanks

Amiens is a city in France and this is probably a token produced by its Chamber of Commerce, similar to the ones being offered about one-quarter of the way down the page at http://www.coinsale.co.uk/tokens.htm.

(What happened to the forum facility for giving a text name for a link?

EDIT: If the above link doesn't work for you, try typing it from scratch in the address box. I have no idea why it works for me when input directly, but doesn't seem to work from the posted link. (Great place for the "shrug" smiley we used to have.)

Oh, and there were a series of French Chamber of Commerce coins/tokens issued about the same time frame that are listed in the Krause. I've gotten some every time I've bought poundage. I'd guess this one is related to those.

This is a piece of French emergency money. It is the the French equivilent of German Notgeld coinage. The only book I know of in English on these tokens is "A Catalogue of French Emergency Tokens of 1914 - 1922 by Robert A Lamb Copyright 1967. There is a book on the subject in French but I don't have a copy of it yet.

This piece is listed as Amiens Lamb 1.4 It's probably worth around $5 or so.

I still need one Amiens token, Lamb 2.1 (Yes I collect French "notgeld" as well.)

Thanks for that Conder101 $5 i am happy at that as it was just in a box of world coins which cost very little :golfclap: