• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me make a dicision on this Shield error..please..

14 posts in this topic

I gess asking this question means i dont want it but when will i get the chance to bid on another one devil.gifangel.gif its just the condition which is putting me off

it looks like a FS 003.8 cherrypicker or Fletcher 40 in other words but possably a F 42 AKA FS 003

1861025-68shieldobv.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gifhi.gif

1861025-68shieldobv.jpg.21098a425df834a391708eb02400a229.jpg

Dooly, look at it again. It's not possible that it is FS-003 - the direction of the doubling is different. It looks like FS-003.8 - check if the reverse is r67. Or buy yourself a copy of SNV, and then you won't have to guess about attributions like this. ;-)

Condition-wise, it is what you see - a lower grade coin with some nasty looking scratches. Whether it fits in your collection is up to you - can't advise about that. It is a difficult coin to find, as are all shield nickel varieties. It has the attraction of being a strongly doubled coin.

I don’t know anything about shields or nickels in general, but it’s hard for me to imagine that someone would pay a premium for such an annihilated coin. I would pass…

I don’t know anything about shields or nickels in general, but it’s hard for me to imagine that someone would pay a premium for such an annihilated coin. I would pass…

People pay high prices for some pretty scudzy looking chain cents. The reason for buying a coin in poor condition would be a combination of a judgment call in your estimation that finding a nicer one that fits your budget would be unlikely and a decision that the condition of the piece in question is acceptable for your collecting standards.

If this were a generic 1868 shield nickel, I'd agree with you that no one would pay more than a few bucks for it. But shield nickel DDOs can be very difficult to locate, and it might be a long time before another FS-003.8 comes along.

For my collection, this coin wouldn't make the grade. But I can see why a shield nickel variety collector on a tight budget would have some interest. If this were a '55 DDO Lincoln or a '16 DDO Buffalo that you could acquire very cheaply, might you not at least give it a second thought?

People pay high prices for some pretty scudzy looking chain cents. The reason for buying a coin in poor condition would be a combination of a judgment call in your estimation that finding a nicer one that fits your budget would be unlikely and a decision that the condition of the piece in question is acceptable for your collecting standards.

If this were a generic 1868 shield nickel, I'd agree with you that no one would pay more than a few bucks for it. But shield nickel DDOs can be very difficult to locate, and it might be a long time before another FS-003.8 comes along.

For my collection, this coin wouldn't make the grade. But I can see why a shield nickel variety collector on a tight budget would have some interest. If this were a '55 DDO Lincoln or a '16 DDO Buffalo that you could acquire very cheaply, might you not at least give it a second thought?

Bang on there skippy 893applaud-thumb.gif

as you say "when will i get the chance of DDO FS-003.8" and with it being such a strong DDO i think i will have a go at it.. but i will not go overboard

cheers again hi.gif

Conqueror -- Your 1882 5c has a filled 2, meaning that the interior spaces of the digit on the die were chipped or otherwise broken, making the digit on the coin appear "filled" with metal. It is not an overdate. Visit Howard Spindel's web page for a thorough and clear explanation on how to distinguish and an 83/2 overdate from a filled 2.

thank you for the web page but looking at this picture it looks to me like the f-9a and not the filled one.

If you haven't, you should read the text as well as look at the pictures, because the explanation helps to understand the distinction. For example, all overdates have the 1883 logotype, and your coin has the 1882 logotype. But it's your coin, so whatever you decide is what matters . . . .

I see what you are saying the dates are close together not like the 83 and the extra filled ones have that rounded look of a three . thank you for your help now I have a better understanding of this coin.

I see what you are saying the dates are close together not like the 83 and the extra filled ones have that rounded look of a three . thank you for your help now I have a better understanding of this coin.

You're welcome. If you're disappointed, I hope that it passes quickly, and I trust that you'll keep looking for all those cool varieties. thumbsup2.gif