• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saturday Trivia: Who am I? *more clues added* !Winner!

3 posts in this topic

Who am I?

Here are some clues:

I was born in Montclair, New Jersey

I received my BA degree from Vassar College

I have in the past exhibited with Tiffany & Co. and with H. Stern Jewellers

*Please come back, as more clues will follow if these tidbits do not reveal a correct answer.

Todays Prize: mystery_box.jpg

???Mystery Box??? Think of all the things that this box could possibly contain...the list of items are almost limitless!

Play today and Win!

Second set of clues:

Former Senator and Treasury Secretary Lloyd Bentsen abolished the postioned I once held

At the peak of my carrer, I lived in Chatham, New Jersey

I also attended the Scuola dell'Arte dolla Medaglia (School of Medalic Art) of the Italian Mint

Elizabeth Jones, the 11th Chief Sculptor and Engraver for the US Mint.

Rey

~clapping~ WTG Rey

Who am I, I am Elizabeth Jones

She was the eleventh and last Chief Engraver of the United States Mint, holding this position from 1981 until her resignation in 1990. After her resignation, the post of Chief Engraver was left vacant, and was subsequently abolished.

Jones was just 46 when President Ronald Reagan appointed her as Chief Engraver, making her the first woman to hold this post. Although relatively young by chief engraver standards, by this time she had already built an impressive reputation as one of the leading medallists in the world. Her talent and distinctive style, which she describes as “mildly abstract,” had earned her a lengthy series of commissions from such prestigious clients as The Franklin Mint, Medallic Art Company and the Judaic Heritage Society. When Frank Gasparro retired in 1981 after 16 years as chief engraver, friends in the art world and in Washington, D.C., urged her to apply. She did, and soon had a new job.

Nearly 20 years have passed since President Ronald Reagan selected Elizabeth Jones to be chief sculptor-engraver of the United States Mint in 1981. At the time, she represented a historic first: No other woman had ever held the post, whose roots go back to the founding of the Republic – and only 11 men had preceded her in the office. When Jones resigned after nine distinguished years in December 1990, she became a historic last – the last person to serve as chief engraver. The post was left vacant, and subsequently was abolished.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nomination

Ronald Reagan Nomination of Elizabeth Jones To Be Engraver of the United States Mint at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania July 13th, 1981

The President today announced his intention to nominate Elizabeth Jones to be Engraver of the Mint of the United States at Philadelphia, Department of the Treasury, vice Frank Gasparro, resigned.

Miss Jones is a freelance medalist and artist. She has participated in various one-man and group shows, including five Tiffany & Co. exhibitions, H. Stern Jewellers exhibitions in Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo, Brazil, in 1967, and other exhibitions in Washington, D.C., New York City, Rome, Paris, Prague, Athens, Madrid, and Helsinki. She has been commissioned to design many medals for various groups and individuals, including medals commissioned by the Franklin Mint. She is a recipient of the Outstanding Sculptor of the Year Gold Medal from the American Numismatic Association (1972) and the Louis Bennett Award from the National Sculpture Society (1978).

Miss Jones graduated from Vassar College (B.A., 1957). She resides in Chatham, N.J., and was born May 31, 1935, in Montclair, N.J.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY; UNITED STATES MINT; PHILADELPHIA, PA.

NEWS RELEASE

SWEARING IN CEREMONY OF

ELIZABETH JONES, CHIEF SCULPTOR-ENGRAVER OF THE U.S.

For: Immediate Release

October 27, 1981

For further information call: 215-597-9654

Today at the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia, Miss Elizabeth Jones was sworn in as the Chief Sculptor-Engraver of the United States by Director of the Mint Donna Pope. Guests at the ceremony included Miss Bay Buchanan, Treasurer of the United States; Miss Eva Adams, former Director of the Mint; Mr. Anthony Murray, Superintendent of the U.S. Mint, Philadelphia; Dr. and Mrs. Clain-Stefanelli, Curators of numismatics at the Smithsonian Institution; Canon and Mrs. Charles Martin of the National Cathedral in Washington, DC; and family and friends of Miss Jones.

Miss Jones was chosen by President Reagan for the position of Chief Sculptor-Engraver and her nomination was confirmed by the Senate on September 28, 1981. She is only the 11th person to hold this office which dates back to the opening years of the Mint in 1792. She is also the first woman ever to hold this position.

The Chief Sculptor-Engraver is responsible for providing designs for any new coin or medal issues of the Mint and for overseeing the many technical aspects of the minting operations involving dies in relation to design.

Miss Jones is a native of Montclair, New Jersey, however, she has lived, studied and worked in Rome, Italy, for 20 years. She brings with her a strong background in medallic art and a free and fresh style of design.

[image of Colonial Minuteman Statue with text “Keep Freedom in Your Future With U.S. Savings Bonds”]

ATTENDEES

Miss Bay Buchanan Treasurer of the United States

Mrs. Donna Pope Director of the Mint

Washington, D.C.

Dr. Alan Goldman Deputy Director of the Mint

Washington, D.C.

Miss Eva Adams Former Director of the U.S. Mint 1961 to to 1969. Under her directorship the new Philadelphia Mint was built and inaugurated in 1969.

Canon Charles Martin & Mrs. Charles Martin

National Cathedral, Washington, D.C.

Dr. & Mrs. Clain-Stefanelli Curators of Numismatics – coins and medals at the Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.

Dr. & Mrs. Rhys Jones

Mr. & Mrs. Griffith Jones

Griff Jones

Mr. & Mrs. Guy T. Stewart II

and 3 sons – Brad, Hugh, Carter

Mrs. Elizabeth Stewart Kret

Mrs. Margo Russell Fred Bartram

P. M. William Dr. Sam Kron

Max & Clare Lieberman Marian Carson

John Davis David Bahlman

Robert Weber Nancy Veale

Lawrence Casper Mr. & Mrs. Frank Veale

Kristi Bloomer Bob Urban

Rev. Bill Woodhaus Mr. Roscoe Egger

Ludwig Glaeser Ed & Mrs. Reiter

Donald Schwartz Mr. & Mrs. Roy Cahoun

Michael Lantz

ATTENDEES

Jack Kelly

Thatcher Longstretch

President Phila. Chamber of Commerce

Don Jamieson

Chairman, Repub. Party

Ruth Seltzer

Philadelphia Inquirer

Bill Meehan

Richard Roob

Howard and Nancy Fry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ElizabethJones.jpgElizabethJonesrev.jpg

not my coin

Elizabeth Jones Biography

Elizabeth Jones received her BA from Vassar College and went on to study painting at New York's Art Students League and in Rome. There she turned to relief sculpture, studying at the Scuola dell'Arte dolla Medaglia (School of Medalic Art) of the Italian Mint, receiving her diploma in 1964.

Ms. Jones has exhibited with Tiffany & Co. in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Houston, San Francisco, and abroad with F.I.D.E.M. in Rome, Lisbon, Paris, Athens, Prague, and Cologne. In 1989 she was given a retrospective exhibition at the Italian Mint in Rome.

In 1972 she received the American Numismatic Association's prestigious Art Award for Excellence in Medallic Sculpture, and in 1978 the National Sculpture Society's Louis Bennett Award. In 1994 she was made an Honorary Life Member of the American Numismatic Association.

In 1981, President Ronald Reagan appointed Ms. Jones the eleventh Chief Sculptor and Engraver of the United States Mint, a position she held for the next ten years. The first woman to ever serve as Chief Sculptor and Engraver, Ms. Jones played a vital role in the re-introduction of the Mint's commemorative coin program. It was her equestrian design for the 1982 George Washington commemorative half-dollar — described as "a refreshing interpretation of a familiar theme" — that launched the nation's modern commemorative program.

Ms. Jones has designed five coins: the 1982 Washington half-dollar, the 1983 Olympic silver dollar, the 1986 Statue of Liberty $5 gold piece, the 1988 Olympic $5 gold obverse, and the 2001 Capitol Visitors $5 gold piece. Three of the four commemorative coins she designed at the Mint won the International Coin of the Year Award.

With much of her career as a sculptor devoted to relief portraits, among them medals of Albert Schweitzer, Pablo Picasso, Pope John Paul ll, and Nelson Rockefeller, Ms. Jones has turned in recent years to life-size portrait busts. She recently completed a bronze head of Henry Kissinger that was placed in the Library of Congress, and has started on another commission for a portrait of UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan.

Closing, if anyone can find a photo/image of Elizabeth Jones please include it in this thread. I searched and searched and in exasperation ceceeded in further attemps.