• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1999 Britannia 2 pound coin

9 posts in this topic

I know nothing about Britannia's, but a fellow offered to trade me this for a coin that I have--anyone care to help me with a rough idea as to value. I know you can't grade it very well from these pics but a rough idea would help. Thanks

1999Britannia.jpg

why does it look like she has a beard or something on her face? the rev looks like mine but the obv looks off to me ?

why does it look like she has a beard or something on her face? the rev looks like mine but the obv looks off to me ?
It's what we call reverse proof and it's just a reflection of some sort from the highly polished mirrors.

The darkness on the face is due to the way light is reflecting off of the mirrored surface of the device. I would value a single, raw britannia at somewhere between $25 and $30. It's not an uncommon coin - it's easily available on eBay, for example. Britannias are great coins - just decide if you like the trade at that dollar level.

It's what we call reverse proof and it's just a reflection of some sort from the highly polished mirrors.

britanniaobv.jpg

britanniarev.jpg

i collect only the rev pr of the britannias smile.gif i was just saying it looked like a non rev pr look with some buff job or something frown.gif