• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sizzle and Steak

17 posts in this topic

I revived once again a post I made about Scot Travers' book, which, admittedly, is not the be all and the end all but overall stimulates the collecting mind to think about what your buying.

How about posting a coin that you think realizes the STEAK rather than the SIZZLE

I'll give an example

STEAK the 1817/3 Bust Half in any grade that is not destroyed by tinkering.

SIZZLE the 1901 $10 gold piece in MS 66

Most of the time, sizzling bacon is for breakfast and steak is for dinner.

For breakfast, you want high grade coins and for dinner you want absolutely rare coins?

Any $10 Lib in true MS66 is a rare and desirable coin. I guess one man's sizzle is another man's steak.

Do you mean gristle? 893scratchchin-thumb.giftongue.gif

Okay I’ll try to play along. This guy eats steak:

NorseThin.JPG

This guy eats the gristle:

LeifAmerican.JPG

Did I get it right Mike? confused-smiley-013.gif

Yep!

This one of mine is just a 8 oz. steak.

18173.jpg

definitely steak!

Don't think mine is but one slice of bacon 27_laughing.gif

1843407-Picture035.jpg

1843407-Picture016.jpg

definitely steakish

Any $10 Lib in true MS66 is a rare and desirable coin. I guess one man's sizzle is another man's steak.

I do agree that one man's sizzle is another steak, but I qualified this coin as sizzle for two reasons, one, is it's high mintage and e.g. that pcgs graded 11,900+ of them, and only 26 in 66, 1 in 67, 215 in 65. So I ask, how many of those 26 are resubmissions of the 216 in 65 and how many have been resubmitted in hopes of obtainin 67. It is a condition rarity, well, almost, but not a rare coin, and thus, according to my own personal sense of steak, just doesn't cut it.

I am English .. ? What?

Dooly, hi.gif

I’m sorry no one seemed to answer your question so I’ll give it a try.

The phrase Steak or Sizzle are American phrases mostly associated with cooking of course but can also to mean something delicious or very desirable. smile.gif

Some may even use the word Sizzle to describe an attractive woman, in a respectful way of course. Which in this case you may call a bird. insane.gif . crazy.gif