• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you safeguard your valuable collections??

43 posts in this topic

thanks for all your replies..

I assumed people would use safe deposit boxes and etc.

Which are good and all. But sucks, when in the middle of the night

you want to "view" your collection or what ever.

I curious. Any of you have kids, that accidently spent some of your coins?

When I was a kid.. I did. My mom collected bunch of 50cent pieces and dollars,

which i found and spent little by little until was gone.

I got a seroius beating for it, but look back now and find it kinda ironic.

As for insurance.

How do you insurance co, value coins??

Im sure they'll try to fudge you on collectables also.

Wonder if home owners insurance covers coins.

thanks again.

I'm not an insurance agent, but it is my understanding, which might be incorrect, that basic homeowner's insurance covers very little numismatic loss. Additionally, an insurance rider to cover a collection may be relatively expensive compared to the value of the collection.

The ANA offers numismatic insurance through Hugh Wood, Inc and this is where I refer folks who are interested in numismatic insurance. Since Hugh Wood, Inc is a member of the AXA Insurance group, I think you may be able to obtain insurance without being a member of the ANA. If you keep your collection in a safe deposit box I believe the Hugh Wood, Inc rate is something like 25-cents premium per $100 coverage. Additionally, you may pay an extra, relatively minor, premium to be able to keep at home or carry a certain threshold value of your collection throughout the US and Canada. In my opinion, insurance coverage such as this is very good as long as you would be otherwise bothered by the loss of coins and/or funds.

The best place is to dig a hole in your yard, put all your coins in the hole, cover with concrete to a depth of at least 4 feet. Or have a house built but before they pour the foundation, put your coins in a hole under that. Buy some land, dig out a 12 foot hole for a secret room at least 4 feet down, put all your coins in there and cover with a corn field. Place all coins in a box and put on top of a case of dynomite with a sign stating weight sensitive.

Where I live insuring a coin collection or anything that is expensive is sort of like telling everyone you have a coin collection and are going out of town for a few weeks. Way to many home robberies right after either having it insured, telling the police to watch your house while on vacation due to your coin collection or showing it off to a relative. Of course home safety for a coin collection is a subject of location. I've seen many homes left with doors and windows open while the residents are out somewhere. But that is in places like upper Wisconsin. Around here in the Chicago area most people are lucky that someone hasn't stolen thier lawns. Just imagine an area where about 50,000 cars a year vanish and having a coin collection that to many people know about. .

Winchester Model 94 30/30

You took my answer, kinda.

Mauser 98K grin.gif

This also sits in my bedroom....$5.00 at a yard sale..

Japanese Arisaka Bayonet type 30,,

bayotif.pngbayofcu.png

Nice!

I have a couple of Italian bayonets and a Czech bayonet as well, for defence only, of course. wink.gif.

I guess I will need to post a few pics when I have a chance...

Nice!

I have a couple of Italian bayonets and a Czech bayonet as well, for defence only, of course. wink.gif.

I guess I will need to post a few pics when I have a chance...

Please do thumbsup2.gif