• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beware - Counterfeit Slabs

11 posts in this topic

About 5--6 years ago I had gone on a 'Rant' with one of my California friends about all this kind of stuff. It would seem that my fears are pretty much a real possibility now---or worse. Bob [supertooth]

You guys ever use the mobil speed pass or smart card technology. I think we need some better counterfeit tech in these slabs on coins worth thousands.

It is my assumption, regardless of the condition of the coin or whether or not it resides within a holder we are all familiar with, if you purchase any coin for any reason from China, 99% of the time the coin will be a faux copy of an original coin, or now, a low grade original coin in a high grade piece of plastic.

With laser printers, copiers, labels can be made as with the case of these, peel off sticker labels affixed to the plastic (not the official hologram) in order to deceive the unwary buyer.

Anyways, thanks for posting this information for ALL to see and read…but now you need to heed.

SilverEagles92

Collector

Monday June 11, 2007 9:01 AM

I guess now we really have to buy the coin and not the holder

-------------------------

This is almost as sad as the fact that the holders are being counterfeited.

SilverEagles92

Collector

Monday June 11, 2007 9:01 AM

I guess now we really have to buy the coin and not the holder

-------------------------

This is almost as sad as the fact that the holders are being counterfeited.

That was me. Sarcasm.

If the Top 4 TPG's would make their registry numbers readily available as does NGC, then it would be easier to vailidate a slabbed coin as they could also verify the owner of the coin. Certainly not foolproof, but at least a step in the right direction.

most of the stuff in my computer say made in China.Some of the stuff in my car says made in Mexico.Companys have things made where they get the best price who's to say maybe the slabs are made in China and some factory worker has been told us Americans have to much money anyway or say that a slab cost less than 3 cents and if he put a fake coin into one he could sell it for hundreds.Best of all he could sell things on ebay bet paid 6 months

wages and never send anything.HECK when they make our new $100.00 dollar bills at there factory in N Korea some people are surprised about a less than 3 cent bit of plastic.

You guys ever use the mobil speed pass or smart card technology. I think we need some better counterfeit tech in these slabs on coins worth thousands.
Don't forget the RFID passports.

most of the stuff in my computer say made in China.Some of the stuff in my car says made in Mexico.Companys have things made where they get the best price who's to say maybe the slabs are made in China and some factory worker has been told us Americans have to much money anyway or say that a slab cost less than 3 cents and if he put a fake coin into one he could sell it for hundreds.Best of all he could sell things on ebay bet paid 6 months

wages and never send anything.HECK when they make our new $100.00 dollar bills at there factory in N Korea some people are surprised about a less than 3 cent bit of plastic.

I remember when Pontiac was saying buy AMERICAN. Then it was learned that well over 60% of their cars were from other countries. I dropped AOL because I couldn't understand their people in india. I'm a little slow because it took me 73 emails and phone calls to wisen up with that one. Ever try to contact the help desk at HP? At a recent knife show I spotted several original World War 2 German daggers made in China. This computer I'm using is from Japan and so is the monitor, key board and mouse. I have at least 25 cameras and all made in Germany or Japan. Not sure but I'll bet my underwear is from China. So why not our coins. Just when will the Mint oursourse out money to China or India anyway?