• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

? do you think this 1868 shield nickel is worth a punt ?

14 posts in this topic

Me again

what do you think.. the seller deals in coins but has made no mention of the errors on the coin

to my untrained eyes this looks like a RPD F-18 .. and he wants $34.99 for it what do you all think .. is it worth a punt ??

1817431-088f_1_b.jpg

is there anyone out there who knows which rev: the RPD F-18 should have IIa ?

1817431-09fa_1.jpg

hi.gif

1817431-09fa_1.jpg.b3f1dc9948dbd7e0aa68f4c540f631b0.jpg

I agree that the coin is F-18 (yes, F-18 has rev. IIa). I see VF details (closer to a 30 than to a 20), and I wouldn't be surprised if the coin has been cleaned. CDN buy/sell for a VF is $28/$31.

I agree that the coin is F-18 (yes, F-18 has rev. IIa). I see VF details (closer to a 30 than to a 20), and I wouldn't be surprised if the coin has been cleaned. CDN buy/sell for a VF is $28/$31.

yay.gif Wahooo ! i got one right finaly yay.gif

thanks IGWT for all the help as you can see its paying off thumbsup2.gif

I have no clue about the "F-18" stuff - is that some type of fighter plane? juggle.gif In any event, for whatever difference it might make, I am almost certain that the coin has been cleaned.

I have no clue about the "F-18" stuff - is that some type of fighter plane? juggle.gif In any event, for whatever difference it might make, I am almost certain that the coin has been cleaned.

Hi Mark

I have put my bid in on the 68 and it was accsepted yay.gif

the F-18 is the number given for the error listed in The Shield Five Cent Series book by E. Fletcher (page 66)

1817545-1868.jpg

i gave $34 for it which i dont think is over the top for a URS-4 coin (5-8 Known)

its a shame it is probably cleaned but it will do until i find a better one which i can NGC

here is the link:-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

1817545-1868.jpg.5c137e5f9755df130762eec3473d1c19.jpg

"I wouldn't be surprised" is IGWT-speak for "almost certain." wink.gif The "F" refers to Ed Fletcher, who catalogued and assigned numbers to Shield 5c varieties in The Shield Five Cent Series: A Comprehensive Listing of Known Varieties (1994).

Edited to add: Dooly - You should realize that the URS figures are rough estimates made more than 10 years ago. They almost certainly don't include, for example, the coin that you just purchased . . . or any others that are waiting to be found. That said, congratulations on a nice find!

Fletcher numbers below 100 are reverse IIa, over 100 are reverse IIb.

I agree with the advice you have previously received.

If you want a slice of semi-immortality, you could arrange to send me the coin for photography and get listed in my SNV (Shield Nickel Viewer) Reference as a contributor. This variety does not yet appear in SNV.

Write to me here if interested: howard@sci1.com

Fletcher numbers below 100 are reverse IIa, over 100 are reverse IIb.

I agree with the advice you have previously received.

If you want a slice of semi-immortality, you could arrange to send me the coin for photography and get listed in my SNV (Shield Nickel Viewer) Reference as a contributor. This variety does not yet appear in SNV.

Write to me here if interested: howard@sci1.com

Hi Skippy i was wondering where you were thumbsup2.gif

Wahay I WOULD LOVE TO SEND IT FOR THE SNV yay.gifyay.gif

o what a happy bunny i am..

i also have a 1868 F-40 in need of some conservation and a 1872 F-122 MS62

thumbsup2.gif

Could one of you nickel gurus explain to me what tipped you off that this might have been (or was) cleaned? To me, it looks like a nice, pleasing, dirty old nickel, but I am not a nickel expert.

The other guys get up way earlier in the day than I do. :-)

I already have good photos of the 1868 F-40 and the 1872 F-122 (which, BTW, is the same coin as F-111).

If you want to send me the 1868 F-18, send me private email at the address in my previous posting and I'll tell you how to arrange it.

Howard

Could one of you nickel gurus explain to me what tipped you off that this might have been (or was) cleaned? To me, it looks like a nice, pleasing, dirty old nickel, but I am not a nickel expert.

Mark will likely have more helpful information based on his extensive knowledge as a dealer & grader, and others have more experience with circulated Shields than I do. That said, there are a couple signs that I read as cleaning.

First, Shields typically picked up a lot of crud in cirulation; the design is a dirt magnet. So, although you see a "dirty old nickel," there is a lot less dirt than I would expect. Second, the uniformity of the gray coloration with remnants of dirt in the nooks & crannies and around the peripheries of the devices suggests a cleaning of some sort. Third, the texture of the surfaces -- especially the fields -- looks as though a mild abrasive was used for the cleaning, e.g., a paste of baking soda & water. Coins wear smooth, not rough, as they circulate. It's possible that the roughness is slight environmental damage; but, even so, some scrubbing was likely required to remove whatever caused it.

Again, I don't claim to be an expert in this area, and I look forward to Mark's comments and trust that he'll correct me where I'm wrong.