• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did you ever notice this about a lot of PCGS graded busties and seated dollars?

4 posts in this topic

That a large percentage of them are dipped with a very thin layer of golden color over them?

It's huge.

huge I say, just huge!

you can spot one a mile away, and if the holder was cropped out of the picture, you'd have a good chance of winning the cigar!

p.s. this is not anti-pcgs sentiment, it's simple observation. i've got a ton of pcgs certified coins. i like their holders. but it does tell you something. i just don't know what that something is.

Unfortunately, this problem isn't isolated to PCGS - not by any means. Nor is it isolated to certified coins! The sad fact is that people just can't seem to keep their hands off bust halves. There seems to be this uncontrollable urge to try and "dip it once - just once, I promise! Then I'll be good....."

You know how it goes. They just can't be satisfied with a coin the way it is.

On the other hand, this is a situation (early bust material) where I often say: There's a reason that coin had to be slabbed.