• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In one (mailbox) door and out the other - grrr... 2007 britannia

12 posts in this topic

Well, I got my replacement 2007 silver britannia from the BRM yesterday. They shipped it in a mint card holder, which consists of a cardboard card, a rear plastic lens, and...THAT'S IT.

The coin holder they mailed it in did not have a front lens to cover the coin, and as a consequence, it popped right out of the holder and was floating loose in the plastic bag the card was in. I've never seen anything that stupid in my life! The bloody coin is expected to travel from Great Britain to the US in a bubble mailer with absolutely no way of keeping the coin in the holder? The US mint does a better job that that, for pete's sake!

Needless to say, the coin is currently back in the mail to the BRM facilities in MN, where I am exchanging it for another one. I didn't even pop it back into the card.

Is the BRM actually shipping these out like that this year or did my coin somehow just not get a front lens to cover the coin?

This was attempt number 2 to get a nice raw 2007. The first one I got was nice, but was probably more like a 66. This one could have passed for a 68 - MINUS THE HAIRLINES IT GOT IN SHIPPING! frustrated.gif

Good to get that off my chest...

Yep exact same thing happend to my second one the first one went back because of a ?"water spot" the 3rd one came with a bad ding to the lions head which i did not take it out of the package.. i got my 4th one two days ago and seems ok.. so i am leaving it in its mint pac and hopefuly sending it to NGC next month so i hope it gets and good grade, it seem to be good but its hard to see through the plastic bag.. ? did the bag you recive have a punch hole in the corner ? as the last ones did not .. just wondered about the "water spot" and weather they were haveing condensation problems with the first bags !

good luck with your new one hope you get your magic number thumbsup2.gif

My bag was completely open at the top and was folded twice and closed with a sticker. The other (previous year) ones I've seen in the bags were sealed and had an air hole in the bag so it wouldn't balloon. All of them had a short, open segment along the top of the coin holder's edge where the corresponding segment of the coin's edge had toned dark brown or black in nearly every case.

The 2007 I got just flat-out didn't have the front lens of the holder installed.

I smell a rat !!!!!

this is how mine came from the royal mint UK ..?

1797522-%24.jpg

1797522-%24%24.jpg

Sorry about the size of the scans screwy.gif

589a929717273_1797522-.jpg.c7a845b3056e4ab76d4f59ea42bb101c.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Makes you wonder ! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

would you be able to order one straght from the UK mint ? or will they only send to there office in the US ?

hi.gif

Michael:

I just picked up a new one from a local dealer without the abrasions. We both agreed it should grade at MS69-70. Unfortunately, it was his last one. I told him to contact me if he gets more. I will let you know if he does.

Scott hi.gif

Good for you Scott thumbsup2.gif

You know, my current thinking about the "cheek abrasions" on britannias is that it's a strike issue - the strike isn't forcing the metal to flow completely into the die where the cheek is. We had that problem with Franklin halves back in the day.

I just got my exchanged 2007 britannia back today. Silver britannias bought individually from the BRM arrive mounted in a cardboard card with a plastic lens on it. The coin/card combo is sealed in a plastic baggie, then placed in the bubble mailer and sent to the buyer.

I sent the first one I bought back because the holder that the coin was placed in did not have a front cover (surely a mistake, I thought) and the coin arrived floating loose in the bag with the card. The bag was open at the top and folded twice and stickered shut (possibly a returned coin?). The coin was scuffed up badly, so I mailed it in for an exchange.

So I got the replacement today. The coin was more or less safe in the holder in a sealed plastic bag this time. However, the holder again didn't have a plastic lens covering the front of the coin! The BRM cannot possibly be stupid enough to ship these coins, with virtually proof-like fields, in holders with no front cover - but they are! They're apparently too cheap to spring for an extra 5c to put protective covers on these coins. My coin has a few hairlines on the reverse (the exposed side) from rubbing against the plastic bag during shipping and handling.

This has got to be the most ridiculous way for a mint to package a $35 coin that I have ever seen. Is the BRM known for this sort of stupidity?

I just got my exchanged 2007 britannia back today. Silver britannias bought individually from the BRM arrive mounted in a cardboard card with a plastic lens on it. The coin/card combo is sealed in a plastic baggie, then placed in the bubble mailer and sent to the buyer.

I sent the first one I bought back because the holder that the coin was placed in did not have a front cover (surely a mistake, I thought) and the coin arrived floating loose in the bag with the card. The bag was open at the top and folded twice and stickered shut (possibly a returned coin?). The coin was scuffed up badly, so I mailed it in for an exchange.

So I got the replacement today. The coin was more or less safe in the holder in a sealed plastic bag this time. However, the holder again didn't have a plastic lens covering the front of the coin! The BRM cannot possibly be stupid enough to ship these coins, with virtually proof-like fields, in holders with no front cover - but they are! They're apparently too cheap to spring for an extra 5c to put protective covers on these coins. My coin has a few hairlines on the reverse (the exposed side) from rubbing against the plastic bag during shipping and handling.

This has got to be the most ridiculous way for a mint to package a $35 coin that I have ever seen. Is the BRM known for this sort of stupidity?

Are you happy with the coin ?

if not i will happely get one from the mint (in the uk) for you and send it back until i get you a good one then send it over the pond to you thumbsup2.gif

all the best hi.gif