• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1854 1/2 Dime with Arrows New Addition to DANSCO 7070 Grade reveled!

16 posts in this topic

Hi, Everyone

I just received this 1854 Half Dime with arrows at the date. It has been graded by a TPG. If you care to comment on the coin and/or practice your grading skills from a picture please do, thank you. smile.gif

AAJ

1854.5ao.jpg1854.5ar.jpg

I see no wear on the breast or knee, and the shield is normally weak struck on the horizontal lines. I see no wear on the tips of the leaves nor the ribbon bow on the reverse. I would feel this should grade MS63-IMHO. I do not know what the TPG would do in regards to the rim nicks/dings. Great coin, irregardless of grade, Al.

The obverse looks a bit dull in your photo. If that's how it really looks, I'd say AU-50. If it has luster, like the reverse, I'd say AU-58 or low end Unc. like MS-61.

Hi, All

A couple of questions answered:

rrantique

"Ms details net au-55 rim damage?"

That crud showing on the lower front rim is plastic build-up from the slab not the coin in hand.

BillJones

"The obverse looks a bit dull in your photo. If that's how it really looks, I'd say AU-50. If it has luster, like the reverse, I'd say AU-58 or low end Unc. like MS-61."

Yes, there is some luster under the toning on the obverse of the coin.

AAJ

above average eye appeal for an arrows half dime thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif, slight weak/uneven strike thumbsup2.gif worn dies thumbsup2.gif especially so reverse

hard to grade from photos

893scratchchin-thumb.gifmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

at least ms62 if not ms62++ thumbsup2.gif depends on the lustre in hand sight seenhm

Hi, All

Here is the new holder ANACS certified AU58. grin.gif

1854.5canacs.jpg

I think it looks MS in hand. Thank you everyone for you kind words, most saw this coin as a MS grade, and nice opinions on my new addition to my type set. cloud9.gif

toyonakataro and BillJones both got it: AU58, nice grading from pictures! 893applaud-thumb.gif

AAJ

Hi, relicsncoins hi.gif

You are correct about getting the TPG holder right. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Congratulations to you and everyone else for taking the time to comment in this thread! grin.gif

AAJ

You can see from the AU/MS thread that it's often not easy to tell an AU58 from an MS in hand and even more difficult from an image. ANACS has been tough on many of these coins since they introduced the new holders. They also seem to be inconsistent since I've seen some really ugly white scruffy seated coins in their AU holders too. I've sent in some that were much nicer that got tagged as cleaned. I'm waiting to hear back from James on those "cleaned" bust halves he bought.

Sorry to take the thread a bit off track. blush.gif