• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1832 LM5's ~ The coveted LDS and the still elusive VLDS

3 posts in this topic

Just picked up another one tonight off the bay. I believe the new one (right) to be nearly identical in die state to the one I got a short while ago (left). The one on the left is considerably more worn down and gives the illusion of a later die state but I think it's just that, an illusion. Both coins clearly have a shifted plain which would indicate a retained cud and not just a series of cracks. One of these days when I get enough of these LM5's I'll put together a collage of them demonstrating the full range of the die state.

The hunt for the "full" cud continues. To my knowledge one has never been found.

lm5snf2.gif

Very cool pieces. Saw a similar quarter variety at EAC last week, but I don't recall the variety. I sometimes wonder how such major breaks were retained for long enough to strike any coins.

Hoot

Now I know how people feel when I post a Shield variety. wink.gif Actually, you, Barndog & MrHalfDime have picqued my interest in half dimes.