• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think of this?

6 posts in this topic

I'd like to probe the forum and see how much interest there might be in a new club focusing completely on the half dime denomination. To my knowledge there are no clubs with this purpose. Half dime collectors have been faithful members of clubs that include their denominations (JRCS, LSCC) but the focus of those clubs is spread over many types.

Would you join a half dime club (theoretically called Half Dime Collectors of America, HDCA) and pay dues that are comparable to other large clubs if the following benefits were offered?

* Open to anyone with an interest in U.S. half dimes, regardless of design.

* Regularly updated and maintained club website offering up to date news, articles and club info.

* Online Chat forum for members.

* Once a year physical meeting at a national show.

* Weekly email newsletter.

* Quarterly print publication.

* Member census's of all half dime types.

* HDCA membership card.

The club sounds like it would be a cross between LSCC/JRCS and what Gerry Fortin has put together with his website. The only problem with Gerry's site is that it the principal subject, Liberty Seated Dimes, seems a little too narrow to draw much traffic and participation (even though he has forums dedicated to other Seated denominations). So, a club that focuses more broadly on one denomination across all series -- narrower than the LSCC & JRCS but broader than a club devoted to a particular series -- might stand a chance of success.

I wouldn't join only because my time and resouces are devoted elsewhere. But the prospect of a membership card almost hooked me (will it be laminated?). wink.gif

I would be interested. I started off buying a few half dimes for a type set but quickly came to like these tiny coins. I started picking up seated liberty examples when I found nice ones. A couple of years ago I had the chance to buy the L&M book at a good price. Since then I have been buying capped bust half dimes when I can. I can't really afford to go to the earlier designs.

Last year I finally joined the LSCC, mostly because of half dimes. I would likely join a dedicated half dime club too. My collecting interests are mostly on the odd-ball coins like half dimes, three cent silvers and two cent pieces with some half cents thrown in for good measure but I probably own more half dimes than any of them.

will it be laminated?
I was thinking more like a credit card type of thing. Very similar to the membership card that EAC issues.

I would be interested even though I no longer collect SLHD's and have sold what I had. I kept only one oddity. I would enjoy seeing the little fellers though and possibly buying a type coin or so over time. But yes I would join.